Re: [Swprograms] European MW broadcaster sites [non]

Re: [Swprograms] European MW broadcaster sites [non]

Just checked my 1961 Handbook and Sweden then had 60
medium wave stations and 2 long wave stations. The
first programme was on 980 (150kw) , 1223 (100kw),
1178 (100kw), 773 (150kw), 593 (150kw), 719 (150kw)
and longwave 182 (10kw) and 191 (150kw). Rest of the
stations are 2kw or less, lots just 150 watts, running
the first or second programme. 29 transmitter sites
all carrying first and second programme on FM with 12
more planned. It's now all FM, that 1179 transmitter
carries a 2 hour Home Service relay in the morning,
foreign service at night.

Most European countries developed with just state
broadcasters, Spain and Portugal being two exceptions
that come to mind. Over the years they have switched
to FM. Estonia for example is all FM apart from a 50kw
station on 1035 which is religious and also has FM
transmitters.

As you suggest in many cases transmitters would carry
the national programme for the majority of the day and
opt out from time to time for regional programming,
some are still doing that for example some the French
AM outlets.  AM DXers always like to know when these
regional; programmes are so they can QSL the stations
direct.

Mike