Re: [Swprograms] European MW broadcaster sites [non]

Re: [Swprograms] European MW broadcaster sites [non]

Glenn Hauser graced hard-core-dx.com with these words of wisdom:

> Broadcasting developed in a totally different way in Europe,
> initially almost all government-controlled national stations and
> networks, and with smaller countries only a few (or even only one)
> high-power transmitter could cover an entire country.

True, but I didn't think countries would just have one channel in
their national service.  (Sweden, for example, only seems to have the one
MW transmitter.)  Did the national broadcasters only have national news in
the days before FM, or were there regional branches of the state
broadcasters that have since moved from MW to the FM band?  I can't
imagine Sweden having just the national service, without a station in
Stockholm doing Stockholm-area news; a station on Gotland giving the news
for Gotland, and so on.  I'd think local programming would be even more
important for the weather.

When I listen to RCI's rebroadcast of CBC programming in the morning,
after the CBC news we always get to hear about 90 seconds of music/RCI
promos which fill what the CBC national announcers mentions is the local
news spot

--
Ted <fedya at bestweb dot net>
Lisa, if you don?t like your job you don?t strike.  You just go in there