Re: [Swprograms] [Bulk] Re: DX Listening Digest 5-118; WOR Extra 58/1281

At 03:13 PM 7/20/05 +0100, Mike Barraclough wrote:
>But from the figures and projections I am reading
>could it not be argued that XM and Sirius are going to
>give BBCWS good penetration into the US?
>
>Mike

I live in the boondocks of lower Delaware.  No opinion formers here except on weekends when they flee Washington DC for a dash of sanity.

Here is a 24 hour clock of BCCWS availability at this location:

9 PM to 6 AM - WSDL 90.7

10 PM to 6 AM - WESM 91.3

6 AM to noon - WWFM Trenton (89.1) and its repeater station in Cape May (89.1) have hourly BBC news at the top of each hour.

9 AM to 10 AM - New Jersey Network 90.3 from Cape May.

At 5:30 PM to 5:55 BBC World TV news is available on Maryland Public TV.

At 7 to 7:25 PM the New Jersey Network carries BBC World TV news from Camden channel 23 and it comes in often when the tropo inversion over Delaware Bay is working.

11 PM to 11:25 WHYY Philadelphia via repeater station WDPB channel 64 in Seaford Delaware carries BBC World TV news.  Sometimes delayed to midnight in case of a schedule conflict.

So I figure with a TV set and an FM radio there are 15 hours per day when I can hear at least BBC top-of-the-hour news bulletins from the BBC.  I can also see 75 minutes of BBC TV news Monday through Friday in near prime time.

I submit that should be enough BBC for anyone and it greatly exceeds the total number of hours BBCWS was available here on SW beamed to North America.  The 4 million pay radio subscribers get at least BBC news 24 hours a day.  So from my limited perspective the BBC decision to phase over to delivery via domestic broadcasters and satellite pay radio has greatly expanded their exposure in the USA. Consider that before the switch, at most only a few percent of the population owned a shortwave receiver and most of them did not know how to hear BBC because they were unwilling to track seasonal frequency changes.  BBC has made it easy for anyone who wants to hear or see their newscasts to do so.

Brilliant!

Joe Buch