Re: [IRCA] KXEL Petition

I should have mentioned that I have about 40 years in broadcasting, AM, FM, TV.

KLGZ (1600 AM) in Algona, Iowa does a marvelous job too. BUT it is very local! Storms and situations move and change.

Many of the high power stations are, or course, directional and even with that they cover very much area.

Of course no one in central Nebraska is going to tune to KXEL, especially since that is in more or less in one of its nulls. That would be silly. KRVN is a great station, albeit that their night pattern covers only the SW portion of Nebraska. No one in Algona or Des Moines or Waterloo would tune to KRVN either. There are many stations all over the place but there are many places not as well served. However â what in an emergency?

Here in Algona â the one in Iowa â night reception of A. M. is somewhat difficult but possible.

There are still many people in rural areas and there is much travel and many travelers in remote areas.

==> My position is not specifically for KXEL in particular nor was I proposing âmore protection.â

Distant reception may or not be useful much of the time â BUT â in some crisis situation it can at least be a back-up plan! I will confess to some sense of anxiety over the current state of our national security.

Tom Gruis.