Re: [IRCA] KXEL Petition

Even looking at the GY channels today, many are satellite fed without local
news - or much of any news for that matter.. As Les points out, the large
stations in large metros have the news coverage. Of the smaller local
stations, it's mostly those which are fulltime and are in a market where
there's very few stations. There, local radio isn't a lot different from
what those of us over a certain age can remember being much more prevalent.

I also agree that most of what's wrong with AM today is a result of prior
bad management by the FCC in response to the demands of large group station
owners have steadily increased the numbers of stations on all of the
channels, resulting not in more quality ( whether of the actual sound or of
the content ) but rather more interference. Raising the powers at night
from 250 to 1000 watts on the GY channels only increased mutual
interference because everybody got to increase.

AM has its limitations, but it also has strengths. Unfortunately nearly
everything the FCC has done with AM over the past 40 years has made AM less
viable. More is definitely not always better.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NW Phila
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>

AM: Modified Sony ICF2010's (2) barefoot w/whip
FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder;
Onkyo T-450RDS; Tecsun PL-310 ( 2);
modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15';
Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip