Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:03 PM
To: les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; Mike Sanburn ; am@xxxxxxxxxxx ; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] CQ Communications & The idea of merging NRC/IRCA

Les:

First of all, there is no problem.
Both clubs are rolling right along.
Both offer different things to different people.
Your idea sounds like this to me:
Cincinnati and Cleveland are both in Ohio - let's merge them.
Huh?

Second: Both clubs have very long standing and different communities of people. Yes, some people belong to both. There's nothing wrong with that. Some don't.

Third: There's a distinct difference in philosophies that has always given each club its own personality.
IRCA is west. NRC is east.
Even more so, IRCA has a very large group of people who handle all the club tasks in a democratic way.
It characterizes itself as being very fair and forthright.
I really can't speak about the NRC since I have never been a member.
When I think of the NRC, I see it as centralized and more formally structured. Nothing bad about it - simply a different approach. All well and fine. Cool beans. These thoughts from a former President and Board member of the IRCA (myself.)

Fourth: The clubs have their differences, but they have always gotten along with civility. I joined the IRCA in 1981 and at that time joint reciprocation deals were being cut to share resources (like guide books) and to get along better. I honestly think that having two clubs has always been better than one. More is being done to support our hobby. More points of view have been shared. More has been developed. More has been published. Brilliant people have met more brilliant people.

Accentuate the positive.
We may be old and dying but we are all still fascinated with medium wave propagation and programming. I believe that if there are only two of us left in North America we will still trade notes. People have talked about CW this way for decades. More people use it than ever.

I've saved the best for last.
AM isn't going anywhere.
The bandwidth is not really applicable to other technologies and is not sought for digital transmission. It will always remain as a very simple and effective way to send a wireless signal for a thousand miles or more. You need nearly nothing to pick it up - especially compared to Internet 'radio' - the most un-wireless method of transmission ever established! No other medium has this ability. Many small stations may fold, but the big boys will find a way to keep making money at it.
AM is like baseball. It is simple and perfect.

Les, we like being autonomous. We like being different. Is there anything wrong with that?

Respectfully, Karl Zuk  N2KZ