[IRCA] Re CQ Communications & The idea of merging NRC/IRCA

[IRCA] Re CQ Communications & The idea of merging NRC/IRCA

Not that I don't feel for those who experienced and/or felt slighted way back in 1964. Having been through a few serious fights in my 52 years, I know the feeling of never wanting to do business with people I think have behaved badly, or who have otherwise ticked me off.

Interestingly, I was two or three years old when the NRC and IRCA split up. So in 1963/1964, while club members were having their bit, my parents were worried sick about my passion for turning TV sets and the like on and off, on and off, incessantly. Had they known the risk of my being eventually being drawn into the hobby of DXing they might have tried to save my soul and turned my attention to other pursuits, or locked me up, or whatever...

But thankfully they didn't, and here I am. And that great brouhaha, though likely somewhat diminished, is still with us in a legacy kind of way.

I've long wanted to see the NRC and IRCA merge, and I've mentioned that a
 few times, mostly in private, to various people who I hoped might yield some influence. Maybe they did - I have no way of knowing, and I realize a wish-list item like this will take considerable effort on the part of the wider DX community, not just board members of the two clubs who are probably busy enough keeping their respective ships afloat. I won't go into the reasons. They're mostly the same reasons that have already been expressed today.

It would be interesting to poll members of both clubs, and see the results (in terms of numbers, not names) to see what the majority opinion is and how majority it is. Might this be done with something like Survey Monkey?

I belonged to one of the clubs in the past, have cooperated with both at times, and am currently club-less. I am overwhelmed as it is by the plethora of DX resources that are online. And I support both clubs insofar as I buy various DX logs and such. This is intentional. I decided about a year ago that I will rejoin and be an active member when the NRC and IRCA are one.

I am happy to help moderate any discussion or negotiation in a neutral capacity between the two clubs and/or various entities. Having been three years old back in 1964, I have no stake in any of the disputes that occurred. Please consider my help in this regard on offer.

Saul Chernos