[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 29-December 5, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 29-December 5, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1610, Nov 29 at 0128 UT surprised to hear some talk in English, certainly not Dead Gene Scott, but seems to be from CHHA direxion, struggling against IBOC from 1600 St Louis, so Toronto apparently diffuses some English; 0129 switches to Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I was listening to CHHA blasting into Fort Wayne last night around 2100 EST, and the on-air hosts were speaking Spanish-accented English and asking for requests at a 416 phone number. s (Scott Fybush, UT Nov 29, ABDX via DXLD)

I got CHHA 1610 AM in Connecticut the other evening, with some sort of pro Union Solidarity programing in English I did not stick around for more info or look up the station (FARMERIK, Nov 29, ABDX via DXLD)

========================

** OKLAHOMA. 530, Nov 29 at 1314 UT, ``K-530-AM``, Vance AFB, is missing. It had been quite reliable for many months, tho with rather boring and repetitive programming consisting of PSAs looping, mostly about safety. There is still a carrier, but seems weaker than usual. Same at 1925 recheck. Maybe no one is around on the holiday to restart it if something crashed. Let`s just hope a hurricane doesn`t hit us in the meantime (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 530, Dec 5, ``K530AM`` Vance AFB never came back after crashing around Thanksgiving. There does seem to be a very weak carrier still on the frequency, which I need to check by approaching Vance closer, beyond my usual routes around Enid (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 530, December 5 circa 1900 UT, approached Vance AFB south of Enid, to confirm that the ``K530AM`` transmitter is still on the air with weakened carrier. From due north of the main gate it only puts a few bars on the DX-398 and DF is exactly south inside the base. Its frequency is still up in lights on a nearby sign on the approach street, Southgate Blvd., preceded by 5 other messages about gate hours. You may just want to look at the last one or two:
http://www.w4uvh.net/VanceSign-01.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/VanceSign-02.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/VanceSign-03.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/VanceSign-04.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/VanceSign-05.jpg
http://www.w4uvh.net/VanceSign-06.jpg
Diffusing gate hours and any variations may be the basic purpose of the transmitter, but most of the time it was running an incredibly boring and repetitive loop of PSAs about safety, some of them completely inapplicable here, such as preparing for hurricane evacuations. Anyhow, maybe it will be revived. Meanwhile, 530 is a little more open for DX to me (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 550, Dec 1 at 2005-2225 UT on the road north of Enid from squirrel haven, couldn`t believe my ears as KFRM Salina KS had double-audio input, totally QRMing itself. One seemed to be talkshow about guns, the other sports. At the outset, local weather and ID from one of them. Normally this is a dominant daytime bigsig, no chance of midday DX QRM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 610, Dec 3 at 0658 UT, I null KCSP Kansas City to hear some soul music, 0659 ID as ``WAGG, Birmingham, news when you want it`` and CBS news. I haven`t heard this one before, normally ceding the channel to KC. WAGG is 5/1 kW U2, a butterfly nite pattern with null toward the NW but peak to the west, so we`re somewhere between those. FCC AM Query shows they also have a CP for non-direxional not only day but also at night by reducing power to 610 watts; could be in effect now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 750, Nov 30 at 1816 UT, during my midday bandscan on the DX-398, KMMJ Nebraska in English has a SAH of about 8 Hz, both looping about the same N/S. That`s a hint that KSEO Durant OK could really be on the air; no one has answered my previous request to confirm it closer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1220, Dec 5 at 1246 UT, unfamiliar Xmas song, roughly north/south, ID sounds like KLCD. But that leads to two possibilities in the 2013 NRC AM Log:
KLDC, Denver CO, but it`s UC:GOS/REL format with 660/11/35 watts; OR
KLBB, Stillwater MN, NOS format with 5000/254/422 watts
It`s pre-sunrise for both as it is here; still with het from the off-frequency Texan (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)