[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 22-28, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 22-28, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** U S A. 790, Nov 27 at 1310 UT, ad for a local event with 479 area code, so it`s KURM Rogers AR, my nearest 790 to the east (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, Nov 27 at 1312 UT, in null of KSGL Wichita, some ag news, reminiscent of the format and a voice we used to hear via 1640 KOAG Enid, i.e. the station which still originates it, KFLP Floydada TX in the panhandle, 250/7 watts, so is it daytime there yet? No! Official November FCC sunrise is 1315 UT (December: 1345). But it does have PSRA: 3 watts in winter, peaking to 6 watts in June! Limiting station being XEW, despite XEOK Monterrey being the dominant XE here. So if they can run the hefty night power of 7 watts until sunrise, which should they even bother with the PSRAs of less than that?? Why not fudge with full-blast 250 watts on earlier? Who`s going to notice? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1050, Nov 23 at 1126 UT, English talk station in XEG null, dog food supplement ad with ``KTBL`` call-only ID inserted over it. Tnx, very much. And back into Red Eye Radio, as confirmed on its affiliate list, the Los Ranchos (de Albuquerque) NM station with 1 kW at night. Pattern is circle tangent to northeast, enough for us almost to the east (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, Nov 23 at 0634 UT, jazz singer in null of WOAI, making SAH of 272/minute = 4.53 Hz. This is getting to be routine: unique overnight format of WCHB Taylor (Detroit) MI, 15 kW night power, but something is amiss: night pattern is supposed to throw everything tightly to the north, and day pattern too except broader. Maybe they are non-direxional for some reason. However, I must admit I have yet to get a definite ID, as they tend to segué the songs.

FCC AM Query shows WCHB uses four towers for day pattern and ten! towers at night.
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=4598
Wow, something could easily go wrong with phasing all those. Here`s the night pattern plot showing peak only 5 degrees east of due north:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1324112-108358.pdf
There`s nothing in the Correspondence folder about any current STA
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) see also UNIDENTIFIED 1200

** U S A. 1230, Nov 23 at 1130 UT, promo for sports advertising on KHAS, 402-area code, briefly surges atop the graveyard pileup, i.e. Hastings NE. City-to-city distance is 291 statute miles = 469 km from Enid. There are no Kansans at all on 1230 between here and south-central Nebraska, and WBBZ Ponca City is far enough out of the way.

Unlikely to be a record distance, and it isn`t, per: http://www.nrcdxas.org/GYDXA/1230b.html
KHAS NE Hastings Frank Merrill Milan, MI 771

BTW, is it fair to denigrate these six channels as ``graveyards``? How did that get started? They are anything but deathly, instead teeming with life, more than any other MW channels.

A semi-century ago I got KHAS-TV channel 5 in Enid on heavy tropo, enough to override OKC in the opposite direxion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1200, Nov 26 at 0053 UT, with WOAI nulled there is a fast rippling SAH, almost a real rumbling LAH from some other station(s) not like previous occasions. A bit of music, maybe country makes it thru briefly (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1430, Nov 23 at 1133 UT, amid the QRM I am getting something in Spanish, peaking roughly NNE/SSW. Of the several SS on 1430 in the 2013 NRC AM Log, none around here, not even in TX, unless it`s KSHJ Houston (SSE), affiliated with GRN = Guadalupe Radio Network, but not flagged as SS. Wikipedia et al., imply that it`s only in English altho they have three other Texas stations in Spanish, including the one we often get, 850 KJON The Metroplex. So maybe I`m really hearing a Mexican? Six possibilities but not enough to go on.

Note that I am no longer getting as a dominant signal on 1430, KZQZ St Louis, Good Time Oldies, which must have been running 50 kW day pattern toward us for several nights, and was also widely reported in North America, and even Europe, while it did (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)