[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 6-12, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 6-12, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA [and non]. 650, Dec 11 at 0659 UT I am investigating what`s here with WSM nulled from the east: right away, CKOM ID from Saskatoon, news from Canadian Press. So despite alleged direxional pattern northward, it surpasses KGAB Wyoming, not unusual either despite its alleged night pattern northwestward. Just before, there was some Spanish making a faster SAH with WSM, characteristic of XETNT Los Mochis, but now it`s faded down; 0701 back up with Mexican NA in progress, fitting for midnight in the UT -7 zone. 0702 CBS News Update is gaining, from WSM itself; geez, remember when WSM and WSM-TV were nothing but NBC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** U S A. 770, Dec 10 at 1404 UT, KKOB Albuquerque, good steady signal with local news; 1414 plugging Rush later and Huckabee at 7:30, reminding us of the station`s anti-American agenda under the guise of news-talk. If it weren`t for that, I would be pleased to hear the #1 AM station in my ex-city. {Fortunately I can and do listen online to the real #1 ABQ station, KUNM.}

BTW, Huckabee`s 3-hour show opposite Rush is about to end as of Dec 12:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/27/mike-huckabee-radio-show-over_n_4350962.html
But he will continue his brief extreme-right commentaries in the mornings (really three times daily), which are a lot easier for 500 stations to accommodate than the long show on 200:
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/mike-huckabee-radio-show-ends-100437.html

At 1418, KKOB is starting to fade. Official sunrise in Dec & Feb is 1400 so that`s when it should cut on to the east; January, 1415 UT. BTW2, I often hear a weak signal from KKOB at various nighttime hours, and can never be sure whether it`s the ND 230-watt Santa Fe fill-in relay, or bleed around the null toward New York of the main North Valley, ABQ, 50 kW transmitter.

Thought I might get KTNN 660 too, another 50 kW NM/AZ station protecting New York, but all I am hearing is KSKY The Metroplex. Need to check after 1415, its December sunrise (Jan 1430, Feb 1400). In null of 880 KRVN, Nebraska to the north, I am not hearing its Navajo neighbor KHAC either (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, Dec 12 at 1328 UT, 806-AC phone number chex with ``All-ag, all-day, KFLP`` ID, and Floydada TX weather, audible with Wichita nulled. Altho its December FCC sunrise is not until 1345, so should be either on nite power of 7 watts or PSRA of 3 watts to protect the mighty but seldom-heard XEW. Would you believe 250 watts day power already? How I miss the relay of KFLP formerly on local KOAG 1640, mostly talk, less adjacent splatter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 940, Dec 12 at 1330 UT, weather YL from KCCI channel ``8``, ``milder`` hi in the 20s, ID for ``KPSZ, Praise 940, Des Moines, Iowa`s Christian station``, into gospel huxter, before fading down (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Dec 12 at 1333 UT, ESPN Radio with a survey whether collisions at home plate should be disallowed. Audible further clockwise than KXEN St Louis, so presumed KTNZ Amarillo TX, my closest 1010 in the other direxion, which is now an ESPN clone. Its December FCC sunrise is not until 1345 for 5000 instead of 500 watts. It has no PSRA in deference to CBR. Day and night patterns look the same, with a minor lobe NE toward us, major lobe from NW to SW to SE. The other 1010 ESPN is WJXL Jaxonvil FL, unlikely way out here despite its 50 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1150, Dec 7 at 0600-0612 UT, no sign of the WNDB DX test; mostly KSAL with C2CAM from the north, but could be nullable here to favor Daytona. Numerous other DXers further east could not hear it either and conclude it was a no-show. However, NRC`s Wayne Heinen, contact for the test, said, ``Just received from tonight's presenter: "I'm ready to go. I will have a ton of Morse code on at a very slow pace. I will probably crack the mic also. Bobby"``. So, what happened? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1570, Dec 8 at 0117 UT, dominant signal is preacher in English; this is on the FRG-7 with east-west longwire, which doesn`t favor XERF to the SSW. Probably nearest 1570 to the east, KBCV, Hollister (Springfield market) MO, 5/3 kW U4, which is a 24-hour Botthuxter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1860-AM, UT Sunday Dec 8 at 0119 at first no signal, then WA0RCR appears with some technical discussion, amid CW QRM. Had it taken a break? ARRL/FCC lookup shows:
Jackson, Vernon C, WA0RCR
2109 Ebert Ln
Wentzville, MO 63385-4607
But this individual is allowed to funxion as a broadcaster on weekends. As per QRZ.com lookup:

``Founded the "Gateway 160 Meter Net" on 1,860 KHz in May of 1979. The Gateway 160 Meter Radio Newsletter began during the net in July of 1979. It emphasizes 160 Meter activities and general concerns and news of interest to the Amateur Radio community. The service is aired on Saturdays from 10:00 am Central until 3:30 am Central, Sunday morning.``

So it`s about time I updated the times for this in my DX/SWL/MEDIA PROGRAMS list, http://www.worldofradio.com/dxpgms.html

When on at night, the signal exhibits very little fading, since there is no CCI unlike broadcast MW to cause subaudible heterodyning. I wonder how much power he runs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1220, Dec 8 at 1305 UT another try to ID the northerly station here: detectable in the QRM is the ``Beer Barrel Polka``, which points to the nostalgia format of Stillwater, Minnesota`s KLBB, rather than the other music or talk formats of the 1220s in IA, ND and CO. Furthermore, this polca is unlikely to emanate from Mexico (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660+, Dec 12 at 1258 UT, JBA carrier, 1301-1305 trace of music; slightly on hi side compared to 1660 Waco et al. Offset frequency correlates with the harmonic I was hearing last winter, from KGLD Tyler TX, 2 x 1330, last logged March 12 (except maybe also June 10 at 0527). First time this winter I`ve managed to detect it vs the noise level, perhaps with a tiny pre-sunrise boost. Always a struggle to hear it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)