[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK June 21-27, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK June 21-27, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 780, June 25 at 0125 UT, KSPI Stillwater, 250-watt daytimer, is already in dead air, and hardly any WBBM audible under it yet: official FCC sunset there is 0145 UT in June and July. So it`s well on the way to open carrier all night as often happens? No, at 0510 recheck it`s off, tho little OTR from WBBM is propagating now either, mostly C&W from KCEG Pueblo CO with a Mex mx mix (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, June 20 at 1840 UT check, KEOR, R. Victoria, Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is back on with usual praise music and preaching in Spanish. Continues to be unpredictably on or off the air (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. [Re my previous reports:] KZUE 1460 filed a license renewal in January 2013 well ahead of their June 1, 2013 expiration date. However, it hasn't Ben granted yet, 6 months late.

That is likely because a fine remains unpaid or something similar. Those, I believe are called "red light" situations, which would stop a license from bring renewed or a sale from being approved, until the issue is resolved.

The announcement they ran is a requirement of all stations at license renewal time, even if the stations file on time and get it approved before it expires. Most stations do official announcements like that in English I think, regardless of formats (Paul Walker, IRCA via DXLD)

======================

** U S A. Bandscan at squirrel haven a few miles north of Enid in an RF-quiet location on caradio: of primary interest shortly after local mean noon, June 20 at 1843 UT is a mix of two weak stations on 850: organ music, obviously Catholic R. Guadalupe, KJON, Carrollton TX (hijacked from Anadarko OK to serve the insatiable RF thirst of The Metroplex), and --- Rush Limbaugh, obviously KOA Denver, as soon confirmed by EIB and `Newsradio 850, KOA`` ID.

KOA is one of far too many stations putting profits above patriotism by broadcasting this dangerous cretin, dedicated to destroying the US government and the public`s confidence in it.

Last time I was at exact same location at about the same daypart, I could not hear KOA, altho it is not unusual for it to reach this far by daytime groundwave, given optimum conditions. However, the KOA signal now is fading in and out regularly every few seconds --- not the same as an almost-but-not-quite-zero-beat SAH with KJON.

Theory: even tho it`s hi noon, almost the longest day of the year, some skywave from KOA is making it, and QRMing its own groundwave, by phase cancellation, which is a common problem in a self-interference ring normally much closer to a transmitter site. The skywave could be possiblized by sporadic E, a little-studied phenomenon as it affects MF, not only HF and VHF. Too bad KJON is in the way to obstruct such observations.

Nothing else unusual noted; I certainly checked for much further WGN 720 Chicago, which not long ago was also reaching this spot in the bright early afternoon (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my log of KRMO 990 in MO: Randy Stewart points out that the town is spelt Monett, not Monnett (gh)

** U S A. 1150, Sunday June 23 at 1218 UT, `All in the Family` --- the musical, as Edith and Archie are singing. Carol O`Connor can really sing and so can Jean Stapleton when she`s not trying to hit sour notes as in the themesong; a tribute to the late her, of course. Did they ever do a musical episode, or was this gathered from elsewhere? KSAL Salina KS schedule shows at 5-8 am Sunday (10-13 UT), it`s The Bill Miller Show, a departure from their mostly talk format. Still some skywave enhancement with fades; also audible more weakly on daytime groundwave (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, June 22 at 1207 UT giving silly ballgame times for upcoming coverage, mentions Wichita and then KOFO in passing, i.e. the 250-watt Ottawa, Kansan, as there`s still some skywave on the top half of the MF band 53 minutes after Enid Sunrise (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, June 22 at 1212 UT, home improvement advice from kenthecontractor.com but with 3 Hz SAH from a mostly stronger open carrier. I think Ken must be on KMAJ Topeka, and the OC from KTNO Dallas, which is failing to modulate its 50 kW. Yes, his affiliate list
http://kenthecontractor.com/affiliates/
shows KMAJ, the only one on 1440 and the only one close enough for us to hear --- at least if its direxional pattern is out of whack as I also heard it a few days ago. Unfortunately, FCC AM Query for facility 42014 can`t find the Electric Field Strength pattern plot, but it does have the Pattern Data, showing nulls are at (as computed by 5-degree intervals) 80, 145, 170, 235, and 355 degrees --- the deepest being 80 and the closest one to Enidward being 235. According to
http://www.convertalot.com/great_circle_distance_calculator.html
the true bearing of Enid from Topeka is 214 degrees. The FCC Pattern Data shows at 215 degrees KMAJ has a hefty signal, almost 8 times as much as at the 235 null, so maybe not so unusual after all, and really in whack (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1600, June 22 at 1216 UT I pause here for some nice piano music, presumably KRVA, confirmed at 1221 by ID in English, ``1600-AM, KRVA`` [The Metroplex TX] and into choral music, presumably South Vietnam ex-national anthem, but an odd time; perhaps piano was a prélude to morning programming if not axual sign-on (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)