[IRCA] NW Storm Update

After sending the emails yesterday, shortly after that the wind really
picked up and gusts were around 100 MPH. One was clocked at 101 MPH on
the Megler Bridge (Astoria), and Naselle Ridge in SW WA got one at 114
MPH.  Mt. Hebo South, had 106 MPH.  and out went the power a bit after 8
AM. The power was finally restored after 4 AM this morning, so it was
off for 16+ hours. At the peak 32,500 were without power in Clatsop
County.  Fortunately these Pacific storms are warm, so the house temp
only got down to 64F. All of the 3 AM's were off including the EAS
station KAST! Since KAST/KVAS/FMs moved to Warrenton, when they lose
power and then they cannot get the microwave signal over to the TX
sites. They were better off at their old QTH, where the tower of KAST
was right behind the building, but their new digs it makes it harder to
operate. Most of the FMs were off too, except for KMUN and they took
over the job of giving out info as they also did in 2007.
   This was a doosy of a storm, one of the worst. It did not go on as
long as the one did in 2007, fortunately, but it took a lot of trees
down and that it what distroyed the power. The powerlines stayed up
fine, but not when a tree falls acress them.
  All of my antennas came through fine including my dishes. I lost a
little roofing off my shed, which is easy to fix and no leaks in it.
   But this is another storm to remember. Thank the Lord I got through
it safe and sound. But there were some that were killed with trees that
fell across them and even crushed a few cars and houses.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR