[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 19-25, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 19-25, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada, Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by =======
Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1610, Oct 22 at 0547, Spanish ad in dólares, NE/SW, enough to compete with KATZ 1600 IBOC noise if sidetuned to 1608, so it`s CHHA Toronto (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===================

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Friday Oct 19 at 0500, KGWA Enid keeps right on modulating with Fox `News`, so no hole to DX tonight (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Sunday Oct 21 at 0500, KGWA Enid stops modulating after ID. Under open carrier I at first hear mostly Spanish music, then some English talk before KGWA blasts back on at 0505 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Monday Oct 22 at 0500, KGWA Enid dead air pause, mainly occupied by ABC News with an echo, so KMA and WERC? Ads amid included 800 numbers: at 0502, 1—888-987-3232; and at 0504, 1-800-895-8835. These lead to : ADT Security Services; and no clear hit. I suppose they were national ads anyway with no local clues (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Tuesday October 23 at 0500, KGWA Enid again fails to transmit dead air for five minutes, instead continued with Fox `News`, so no DXing under it tonight (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Wed Oct 24 at 0500-0505, KGWA Enid is dead air again, and this time in its null mainly hearing bluesy music, so suspect WABG in Greenwood MS with this format (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Thursday Oct 25 at 0500-0505, local KGWA`s dead-air Fox-hole again causes me to null the remaining strong carrier, and strain to hear anything else: quite a mix of signals, but one slightly dominant is bluesy music, presumably WABG in Mississippi (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Oct 23 at 0557 UT, KOKP Perry has again lost programming, dead air only, but producing a SAH probably with KDKA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Oct 20 at 1840 UT, weak open carrier is still on the air from the direxion of KEOR Sperry/Catoosa/Tulsa, but no Spanish music modulation, unlike yesterday when I told Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa about it, and he replied:

``Presumed KEOR-1120 on with Spanish language vocal music, no voice ID or other announcements between songs 1955-2020Z 19 OCT 12. Listening now (2235Z 19 OCT 12) and still on with Spanish language vocals. Just heard what sounded like a quick "Radio Mejor" "ID" in Spanish 2238Z 19 OCT 12 but not sure since it caught me off-guard...``

Bruce Winkelman also reminds us about KJMP 1340 Sand Springs, which at one time was duplicating KEOR: ``KJMU-1340 is permanently off-air from what I saw a while back on the radio-info.com site (I think they have been renamed??). In response to a post about KJMU, someone locally with knowledge of the situation said that the new owner of the property that housed the transmitter/antenna tore down the building and sold the electronics for scrap. Can't vouch for the accuracy of that statement but they are certainly not on the air.``
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Oct 21 at 1232 UT, tell-tale het, subaudible, upon KMOX amounting to 76/minute = 1.27 Hz, and it loops toward KEOR which I therefore assume is still on the air without modulating. Official KEOR sunrise in Oct is 1230 UT, Nov at 1300, so maybe just turned on. I had not noticed any SAH on KMOX in the nightmiddle. On Oct 18 when I first heard KEOR reactivated, the SAH was exactly 1 Hz, but definitely more than that now (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, I've been checking 1120 off and on all weekend and found strong OC at various times during the day with no programming from presumed KEOR. Still OC as I type 1737CDT 21OCT12 (Bruce Winkelman, Tulsa, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Oct 21 at 1911 UT check, KEOR is still on the air per DF toward Sperry, but just unmodulated carrier. Oct 22 at 1247 UT, still/again OC over KMOX at the moment, but the latter regains a bit (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Checked 1120 yesterday on the way to work and today before leaving. Presumed KEOR-1120 on with open carrier, no programming 1305-1310Z 22 and 23OCT12, weak KMOX in the background. May try for a "s/on" tomorrow since I'm off (Bruce Winkelman, Tulsa, OK, Oct 23, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, no sign of presumed 1120-KEOR OC this morning at first check at 1309Z 24OCT12, still nothing at 1330Z, only a very weak KMOX (Bruce Winkelman, Tulsa, OK, Oct 24, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

KEOR 1120 carrier is no longer heard by me or Bruce Winkelman the morning of October 24, as it apparently goes back to dormancy, having proven it still exists and can transmit if it cares to (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1380, Oct 23 at 1920 UT, as I am transporting another rodent to squirrel-haven, I find that some 10 km north of Enid is far enough away for the caradio to hear KMUS with Mexican music, despite splatter from local 1390 KCRC, which itself is on the N side of Enid. Therefore I claim a logging of this station which is now licensed to Sperry, north of Tulsa, and per NRC AM Log is called ``Radio Las Américas``.

KMUS was originally named for its original city, MUSkogee, then meant MoUSe as in Radio Disney, and now surely means MUSica. KMUS daytime pattern pushes it mostly SSE unnecessarily toward ex-COL Muskogee, while KCRC goes WNW, and I may have been in a slight null from it. KMUS now has a 6-tower array somewhat south of Sperry which I believe we saw on the way to visit the KEOR 1120 site 3.7 years ago.

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, Oct 19 at 1943 UT check, KOKB Blackwell is still off the air. Oct 20 at 1840, it`s back, with local Kay-county ad (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. 540, Oct 24 at 0530 UT, ``Kisses Don`t Lie`` C&W song, Hank Williams? 0532, ``AM 540, KWMT, country music and a whole lot more``. Dominating frequency from NE/SW; where`s XEWA, CBK and all the rest? Unusual to hear Fort Dodge like this in the clear at night. Both day- and the much tinier night-pattern favor the south, 5000/170 watts; maybe really on day facilities? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 710, Oct 23 at 1207 UT, KCMO Kansas City MO, ``now on FM 103.7``, another big AM station which thinx that`s not enough. But FM is not new: already in NRC AM Log 2012 as of last August at latest. Opening local `KCMO Morning Show` with Greg-somebody who is anti-Obama, of course (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Oct 19 at 1959 UT, weak signal on caradio talking about Chicago, so WGN, which could be either groundwave or skywave, which was already starting to show higher in the band (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Oct 25 at 1206 UT, Spanish with several AC 713 phone numbers, loops somewhat east of south, vs KRVN. So it`s KJOZ Conroe TX, religious rimshotter into Houston (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Oct 22 at 0531 UT, WKY OKC is more easily nulled than usual, and there is something in English quite readable at that position: ``Relevant Radio``, with item about an open house Oct 24 at St. James Hospital; then addresses mentioned in River Forest, Willowbrook, Catholic Charities, relevantradio.com --- direct searches go right to WAUR in Sandwich IL, near Chicago, and
http://relevantradio.com/about-us/stations
confirms it`s the only 930 station they have, originating out of Green Bay, apparently. NRC AM Log shows night power 4.2 kW is axually more than day power of 2.5 kW, but night pattern is even more direxional north toward G.B., so would hardly expect it to occupy the WKY null way down here to the SW in OK. Is it out of whack, nondirexional perhaps? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 950, Oct 25 at 1212 UT, local news, at least three mentions of Jefferson City, including ``here in Jefferson City`` so I`m confident it`s KWOS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, UT Sat Oct 20 at 0503, tune-in late to find this is another Fox-hole from KGWA open carrier; at 0504 ABC News cutaway to KMA AM & FM ID, first time I have heard them do this: so definitely Shenandoah, IA penetrating my local before its modulation blasted back on at 0505 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Sunday Oct 21 at 1230 UT, ``Arizona`s Christian Station, KXXT`` and another ID in passing, all in English this time. Atop CCI from another gospel huxter in English, presumably 50 kW KXEN St Louis; and KXXT is surely on 15 kW day power already when the sun is just barely rising in OK, let alone Tolleson AZ far to the west, instead of 250 watt night power. FCC AM Query does not have anything about a PSRA in KXXT`s Correspondence file (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Oct 24 at 0615 UT, Spanish religious dramatization, from E-W, dominating frequency tho I could hear a Mexican in its null, q.v. Surely the bilingual KXXT Tolleson AZ as heard at various other times previously, and suspiciously strong despite 250 watt night power vs 15000 day power. And it`s still night when heard again at 1245 UT, ads and religious announcements in Spanish concerning AZ, with 602 and 623 area codes, Phoenix, Fiesta de Sabores at an Avondale restaurán. A slow SAH with something, probably KXEN St Louis which despite being eastward tends to take over the frequency later after sunrise here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Oct 24 at 1248 UT, Spanish sports talk from E/W, about Argentina, and Argentine accent included; have to avoid KNX IBOC by side-tuning to 1062. Fade at 1252, but back stronger at 1255; 1256 ID as ESPN Deportes Radio, 1257 less IBOC noise now and into a song, 1300 ID I could not catch but followed by news about Chihuahua. ESPN Deportes operates in Argentina, Mexico, USA and some other countries, but there is no real Mexican on 1060 except XEEP in the DF. Suspect this is really KXPL El Paso TX, which funxions as a Mexistation, and is even in Cantú as
1060 KXPL Radio NET 1060 Cd. Juárez, Chih. (El Paso, TX) 10,000 D

Its sister station really is all-Mexican on 1490, XECJC, and on the Radio Net website we find that there *is* an ESPN Deportes connexion, but apparently not full-time programming from it, e.g.:
http://www.radionet1490.com.mx/Programas.php?SHOWID=9
As usual, ESPN Deportes website is no help at all in locating affiliates anywhere:
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com

NRC AM Log 2012 does not include ESPN Deportes for it, but KXPL is Spanish news/talk in general, on the air from 1200 UT until sunset, and altho 10 kW after sunrise, it has a PSRA for 500 watts. FCC says official October sunrise is not until 1315 UT; November, 1330. But even before 1300, this sounds more like 10 kW than 500 watts.

It`s also unusual that ``three watt`` 1060, KIJN Farwell TX on another NM border is not the dominant sunrise signal here with Spanish hymns (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1180, Oct 25 at 1216 UT, Spanish sports discussing European fútbol, so likely ESPN Deportes network, loops NNW/SSE, and surely the only one listed in NRC AM Log, KGOL in Humble TX (Houston market), 50/3 kW, but must have just surged to day power at official October sunrise 1215 (November: 1245). Had SAH and CCI from hard to null Yahoo Sports Radio ``48 hours a day`` in English from opposite KZOT Nebraska (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Oct 24 at 1303 UT, ``San Antonio Rose``, then ID as ``1190 AM, K#QZ, another hour of cool country``. Loops WSE/ENE, i.e. KQQZ DeSoto MO --- St Louis market, address in Belleville IL per NRC AM Log, and it`s really ``Killer country``, day power 10 kW now in effect; direxional to the southwest, close enough for here (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1470, Oct 24 at 1308, weather and ``WMBD News``, ``1470 WMBD``, i.e. Peoria IL, news/talk station which has somehow held on to its heritage calls until the present, and one of those post-sunrise eastward skips before D-layer builds up to block it. Day pattern is NNW/SSE but no deep nulls to the sides so we can get it like this:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/173273-22108.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

------------------

UNIDENTIFIED. 530, Oct 19 at 2000 UT, on caradio 10 miles N of Enid, weak but readable ID for KEC59 Wichita, NOAA Weather Radio, 162.55 MHz, from Mid-Continent Airport, but unknown site for the 530 relay, previously found to be unlisted. I have e-mailed NWR to enquire about it. Still suspect Kansas Turnpike Authority near the OK border (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Re the 530 kHz relay of NOAA Weather Radio, KEC59, Wichita: I got this reply from Robert Payton of NOAA: ``The station is located in north east part of Wichita near intersection of hwy 81 and 96. If you are on radio it is a function of the radio station not the National Weather Service``. But I am not sure if he is really referring to the location of 530 kHz or 162.55 MHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1100, Oct 19 at 1957 UT, hymns, usual marginal daytime groundwave signal from KKLL Webb City MO, in the SW corner, but also a fast SAH and some audible CCI, on caradio 10 miles N of Enid. What could the understation be, with skywave starting to funxion? Not many choices: KNZZ Grand Junxion CO, 50 kW; KDRY Alamo Heights (San Antonio) TX, 11 kW, both non-direxional in daytime in the +500-600+ mile range; surely not WTAM Cleveland OH at almost twice the distance (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1300, Oct 20 at 0551, ``por su dolorosa pasión`` catechisms alternating with someone saying something else --- just like we hear on 7555 WEWN`s `Por la luz de la luna`, and in fact, this sounds the same altho not synchronized, and it`s not the primary unxuous announcer we usually hear, weekend off? So where`s the EWTN Spanish affiliate on 1300? The only one on their list at
http://www.ewtn.com/radio/amfm.asp
is WCKI in Greer SC, which NRC AM Log shows with 94 watts at night. I don`t believe I would be getting it even if it were on 1 kW day power. This loops WSW/ENE. In the Log I look for other EWTN affils on 1300 but find none; how about merely SS:REL? WNQM Nashville of course, the AM appendage of WWCR, which part of the time is in Spanish as Radio Vida, but the church in Nashville sponsoring that does not appear to be Catholic, and WNQM`s 5 kW night signal is beamed away from here.

KLAR Laredo TX is SS:REL with 80 watts at night; and KKUB Brownfield TX (near Lubbock) is too, with 120 watts. Is it Catholic? Yes! in this directory: http://www.intermirifica.net/entity.aspx?Id=4877
and the direxion fits, so KKUB is the tentative source even if R. Católica Mundial doesn`t know about it.

The only Mexican from that direxion is XEP Juárez, Radio Trece, which inbooms here on 38 kW daypower before sunrise, but in the nightmiddle it better be only 200 watts. Basically news format, so unlikely to switch to Catholic, but no program schedule or local website available to be linked from the group (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1440, Oct 25 at 0538 UT, sports talk with an echo, the main station looping NE/SW and surely WGEM Quincy IL, and it is same as on KSTP 1500, i.e. ESPN. There are more than half a dozen affiliates elsewhere in the NRC AM Log, from CA, to TX to OH, PA, NY, MA and ME, none of which look very likely, many with very low nite powers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1540, Oct 19 at 1954 UT, CCI from at least two stations, on caradio 10 miles N of Enid; unusual in daytime. Closest are three little daytimers, two in Kansas, one in Arkansas, plus 32 kW KZMP in The Metroplex but with null to the north. It`s less than a sesquihour after local mean noon at 1832 UT, but skywave must be kicking in already as the midday sun slides lower and lower. Another possibility, or even a probability, is KXEL in Iowa which is habitually one of the first distant skywave signals to kick in (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1610, Oct 19 at 1954 UT, big hum here, on caradio about 10 miles N of Enid after trapping and releasing another squirrel, (and saving oodles of pecans for ourselves!). Probably Great Salt Plains State Park TIS, which has long been neglected, allowed to deteriorate without being turned off, altho I don`t recall such a strong signal from them before this far away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)