[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 12-18, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 12-18, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST: http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

These logs are in four sexions, Canada, Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by =======
Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1610, Oct 13 at 0535 UT, Spanish music from NE/SW, ``la mejor música``. Must be CHHA Toronto, and coming in much better than usual (which is often: not at all). For a change I do not hear any IBOC noise from 1600 KATZ St Louis MO in the same direxion, which is a big help. Turned it off or long fade? [At same time I am monitoring another Canadian[?] on 6925: see NORTH AMERICA.]

0537 fade-up with ``La Bamba``; 0545 quick CHHA ID in English! Then Spanish with e-mail partially: ``arroba 1610.am`` and ``Voces Latinas, La voz de la comunidad``. 0547 plug advertising on station, phone 702-2953 for sales; another phone with 416-AC. Still going at last check 0610, but now IBOC QRM is back (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=================

** OKLAHOMA. 740, Oct 18 at 0534 UT, KRMG Tulsa promo for `Oklahoma Innovations`, Sundays at 8 am (13 UT, soon 14). While a backwater in so many ways, socially, healthily and politically, OK does have some achievements in education and scientific research, so at least one hour a week is worth listening to KRMG, respite from its preponderance of far-right talkcrap (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Saturday Oct 13 at 1157 UT, KSPI Stillwater is in open carrier/dead air. At least I haven`t noted this daytimer lately in the nightmiddle (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 930, WKY OKC, Sunday Oct 14 at 1229 UT ending ``Sunday Morning Magazine en La Indomable`` --- Yes, their weekly token English semihour, back to Spanish, altho some ads may be partly or fully English (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Friday Oct 12 at 0500-0505 is another silent midnight on KGWA Enid; see USA for something else heard (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Saturday Oct 13 at 0500, KGWA provides another Fox-hole (could there be others at different hourtops? I need to check). See MEXICO, but no ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, KGWA Enid, 5-minute dead air Fox hole occurs again UT Sunday Oct 14 at 0500-0505, but tonight I can`t really pull anything significant when nulled, vs also the increasing hum level near the null position (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Monday Oct 15 at 0500, KGWA Enid is again providing a Fox-hole of dead air for 5 minutes; among the mishmash of signals audible with its carrier almost nulled at 0503 is a Fox ``news`` credit mixing with the more usual `ABC News`. Per NRC AM Log there are besides KGWA itself, about 7 Fox affils on 960 around the country, none of them very likely here. WSBT South Bend IN maybe by proximity and 5 kW power, except all its signal at night supposedly goes north into Michigan. At 0504 a bit o` blues, WABG Mississippi? See also MEXICO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Tuesday Oct 16 at 0500-0505, local KGWA again with a Fox-hole, during which nulling the open carrier, I am getting mainly a rather Singspiel-like mixture of Spanish talk and music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Wednesday Oct 17 at 0500, local KGWA Enid fails to transmit dead air for five minutes, instead Fox ``News``, so no understation DX tonight. Same thing happened last Wednesday Oct 10; and the previous Wednesday Oct 3 nothing was logged either way. Most nights, there continues to be DA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Thu Oct 18 at 0500-0505, KGWA Enid provides another Fox-hole, so nulling the strong carrier as much as possible, I turn up the volume to hear at first music in Spanish, and by 0503 ABC news is gaining, presumably KMA in IA. 0505 local commercial blasts back on, and whatever talkshow follows; another check at 0609 finds dead air again! Under it, a mixture of blues (WABG Mississippi`s format) and some talkshow in English. No telling how long this outage will last and when my ears might get blasted; stayed with it until 0615 when blues was dominant; good night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, Oct 16 at 0458 UT, KOKP Perry is again unmodulated, allowing one to detect KDKA Pittsburgh ID after the news at 0506, and KOKP still dead air past 0600 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Oct 18 at 0611 UT, KOKP Perry is in dead air, like KGWA 960 Enid. It was not so before 0600 altho other nights it has often been. This failure happens frequently at KOKP, where obviously no human cares whether they are really modulating or not (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=================

** U S A. 560, Oct 12 at 0537 UT, `Coast to Coast AM` mainly from KWTO Springfield MO, but quick echo from a second station. Affiliate list
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/stations
shows KLVI Beaumont TX is by far the most likely altho there are more 560s in seven further states (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 600, Oct 11 at 0523 UT, `Coast to Coast AM` from two stations about one second apart, very annoying. One is certainly the usual WMT Cedar Rapids IA; NRC AM Log shows four other affiliates and so does the C2C website: we can rule out KVNA AZ which is 48 watts at night and doesn`t join in until 0607 UT. Also unlikely is faraway KOGO San Diego. That leaves KCOL in Wellington CO, and WREC in Memphis TN, the latter with a 10x power advantage. KCOL also has a deep null toward us and Memphis, while WREC is a tangent circle to the southwest, but not a full null toward here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 630, Oct 13 at 0558 UT, anti-Obama commentary, 0559 ``KSLR.com, AM 620, The Word in South Texas, San Antonio, Salem Communications``. Promos for programs at other times. Being a gospel huxter, it was first assumed to be KJSL Saint Louis MO. It and KHOW Denver usually dominate the frequency, but nothing from them at the moment. Conditions may be somewhat auroral. KSLR is 5000/4300/PSRA 500 watts, per NRC AM Log.

NRC Pattern Book shows KSLR at night has null to the SW (Monterrey), so most of signal goes northward, while daytime also nulls XEFB, but spurts out instead to its sides, WSW and SSE with big nulls also northward, especially toward St Louis and Denver.

This looks the opposite of what ought to be called for, day vs night, so I check day and night patterns at FCC AM Query: Sure enough, they are reversed in the 2006Y NRC PB, so the dotted lines for San Antonio 630 should be solid, and the solid line should be dotted.
Here`s the real day pattern:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/175125-24652.pdf
which matches the `night` pattern in the book.
And here`s the real night pattern:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/282725-1949.pdf
which matches the `day` pattern in the book. I trust this will be fixed in the new edition under preparation, and that there were not too many other such reversals in the old one, but be on the lookout (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, Oct 16 at 1317 UT, ``Newstalk 790, KFYO``, ``official weather station`` Lubbock TX hi in the 80s today, interview about a festival. Atop channel, CCI perhaps Arkansas. I don`t hear much from KXXX Kansas. Skywave, altho KFYO is at the edge of possible groundwave range on a quiet midday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Oct 16 at 1322 UT, ads including H2O softener, hoping for something more interesting 42 minutes after sunrise here, but it`s still ``Newsradio 830, WCCO``, then sports interview. Weak but steady (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, Oct 12 at 0500 UT, during KGWA`s fox hole, main signal audible when carrier nulled is blues music, which again points to WABG in Mississippi (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, Oct 12 after 0500 UT, again no longer hearing hummy carrier from KCTA; monitored as official October sunrise approached at 1230: 1228, Montana/Wyoming water furnace(?) ad, obviously KTWO, and still past 1230 without any sign of KCTA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1140, Oct 16 at 1327 UT, as I tune by, immediate ID as ``1-1-4-0, K-S-O-O`` instead of contracted ``11-40 K-Soo``, i.e. 10 kW Sioux Falls SD on 10 kW non-direxional day power, overcoming OKC and anything else (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Oct 12 at 0506 UT, `Phil Hendrie Show` is starting. Figure it`s just KFXR in The Metroplex, and his affiliate list http://www.philhendrieshow.com/stations-index/
confirms it`s the only 1190 and starting at midnight CDT. Unfortunately not a solid signal with their multitower pattern (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, Oct 16 at 1330 UT, no sign of OK or TX stations but instead ``Faith 12-70`` [KNWC Sioux Falls], with SD news headlines: prisoner executed, George McGovern in hospice, weather hi 75 today, but 40s on Thursday; 1331 `Insight for Living` about Daniel. NRC Pattern Book shows most of day signal aims toward Liberal KS which is non-direxional! FCC AM Query shows 5 kW with equal day lobes to the NNE and SSW.

KNWC is licensed as non-commercial to the appropriately-initialed Northwestern College which despite its nondescript innocuous seemingly secular name obviously has religious agenda, admittedly private and Christian and axually an hour away in Orange City IA. Station KNWC however has an address in Sioux Falls. Transmitter site is about halfway between but appears to be in SD. The topo maps FCC provides are very unhelpful without coördinates or site markers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, Oct 12 at 1235 UT, about new ``forever`` international letter mail rate of $1.10, Minnesota item, 7:35 TC, Sacred Heart of Jesus promo, 1237 Catholic talk show about importance of taking kids to bathroom before mass. From NNE/SSW, probably KAHS El Dorado KS, altho our nearest 1360 in the other direxion, KDJW Amarillo TX is also EWTN/Catholic and sometimes echoic (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, Oct 15 at 1238 UT, Spanish restaurant ad with 214-AC phone, also mentions variedades, referring to what, programming? Must be KMNY Hurst TX (The Metroplex, address in Dallas), which is 50 kW in the daytime, but major lobe to the WSW, and quite a null to the NNW. It was sufficiently weak here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, Oct 18 at 1220 UT as I tune in, weather info, and ``13-70 KIOL, The Voice of Iola``. New; I hadn`t realized there`s another Kansan on 1370 besides nondirexional KGNO Dodge City. KIOL is U3, 500/58 watts with tight day and night patterns from SE Kansas aimed almost N/S, certainly unfavorable for Enid, a tight null to the WSW. I figured this was just after sunrise, but FCC AM Query says in October officially it`s not until 1230; 1300 in November. NRC AM Log does not mention any PSRA. However, in the Correspondence folder we find KIOL does have pre-sunrise authority for 500 watts anyway starting at 6 AM CST/CDT yearound (not applicable in June when sunrise is earlier already). KIOL also had to overcome splatter from local KCRC 1390 on the way (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1490, Oct 12 at 1243 UT local newscast from E/W, 1249 ending sponsored by funeral home in Springfield, references to Stillwater County (which is only in Montana; or something-water county?), 1255 ad for something on south highway 65 (which connects Springfield to Branson MO), TC for 7:55, stories concerning southwest Missouri.

The SW MO 1490 station is KDMO in Carthage, which is just east of Joplin and the county seat of Jasper County (Joplin is not). But that`s too far from Springfield for this graveyarder with a listed nostalgia format, so suspect it is relaying a Springfield station at least for the morning news. Don`t find a website for it or anything about such a connexion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Oct 12 at 1142 UT, Lowes ad, Cincinnati, ``ESPN 1530`` reminding me that when I usually tune across WCKY, it`s totally different programming, Brother Scare after midnight. I seek the program schedule of this curious hybrid, without success, instead sidetracked to gallery after gallery of cheesecake, such as:
http://www.espn1530.com/cc-common/gallery/photos.html?album_id=121743&p=7753711
Some audio stations just gotta have visuals
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Oct 18 at 1223, phoner with details of school activities including Norton Junior High, i.e. KQNK, Norton KS, 1 kW. Dominating frequency, daytimer per NRC AM Log, official sunrise not until 1245 in October, but FCC AM Query shows it does have a PSRA of 63 watts starting at 1100 UT, to protect KFBK and WCKY. In May-August they get 93 or 96 watts, and only in April a hefty 500 watts. Well, this sounds like 500 if not the full 1000 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1590, Oct 16 at 1333 UT, more than we ever wanted to know about hockey games between Galesburg and Peoria; Galesburg vs Canton; refers to ``kills``, apparently a game term involving penalties. Must be WAIK in Galesburg IL, 5 kW, overcoming OK and KS stations. Yes, skywave still in from the NE almost an hour after LSR here at 1240 UT, and 1690 WVON Chicago sports was also still in at 1337 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Oct 12 at 1210 UT, WKY OKC nulled while mostly talk in Spanish: 1217 ``Radio Novecientos Treinta`` singing ID; another at 1225, while a station in English took over briefly in between, ad for Mountain Park Electronics, which gets too many search hits to be credible. And I have to keep readjusting the null, since remnant of WKY is about as strong as the DX, WKY alternates with music bits, and even the occasional ad in English, to be sure which one I am hearing at the moment. Prime suspect is still KHJ Los Ángeles. I`m not running the computer while DXing, but will have to listen to stream later to see how it sounds. Around 2000 UT I do so at
http://player.estrellatv.com/la-laranchera-930

Yes, it`s owned by the minor Estrella TV network seen on KOCY-LP 48 in OKC, and carried a promo for its canal 62 (in L.A.). ``La Ranchera 9-30`` is the SID heard on webcast, and later also as a spoken ID along with call letters in English with Spanish accent (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Oct 18 at 1237 UT in WKY OKC almost-null, slow romantic ballads in Spanish, quite a contrast to the frenetic upbeat music always on WKY, making SAH of approx. 2.8 Hz, losing out by 1242. As previously discussed, KHJ Los Ángeles is most likely; except the music of the moment doesn`t qualify as ranchera (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, Oct 15 at 0516 UT, gospel huxter in English roughly N/S. Am no longer hearing open carrier with hum from 50 kW daytimer KCTA Corpus Christi, but could they now be modulating it? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1430, Oct 12 at 1256 UT, ``NBC News Radio`` with Jim Miklaszewski (? Didn`t sound like him, too hyper), 1257 optional cutaway, ending already at 1258; seems east-west. I would figure KZQZ St Louis most likely, but NRC AM Log has the `N` network on 1430 listed only for KBRK in Brookings SD. Network website doesn`t provide affiliate list; it`s just another brand under Westwood One, under Dial Global, ``Air Time: One-minute, hourly reports from 6AM – 10PM ET Monday through Friday`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)