[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 26-November 1, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 26-November 1, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by =======
Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Friday Oct 26 at 0500-0505 another deadair Fox-hole from KGWA Enid, during which nulling its strong local carrier, I hear mostly blues music dominating, presumed WABG Greenwood MS; 0503, 800-299-8255 phone number probably during a break in ABC news from WERC or KMA. Any phone number ending in 8255 means ``TALK``, i.e. for call-ins. I find it amazing how unhelpful the dozens of reverse-phone number lookup sites are. About 15 sex before KGWA blasts back on at 0505 with a local ad, the understation starts a political ad with a black accent, probably WABG, but can`t copy any clue (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Sat Oct 27 at 0500-0505, tonight`s KGWA Fox-hole jumble is mainly occupied by a Mexican song; one ear on this and the other on 6899.4 pirate, see UNIDENTIFIED (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Sunday Oct 28 at 0500, KGWA maintains modulation with sports scores, running late this Saturday night, so no Fox hole (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Monday Oct 29 at 0500, KGWA dead air is filled when nulled by pileup of other stations making heavy SAHs, but heard at first atop is definite Spanish, ``Qué tal, amigos otro --- musical``. Null on this one fits for XEK Nuevo Laredo. Then I am hearing blues music, especially shrill harmonica {not harmonic as I hastily wrote originally} at 0503, presumed WABG in Mississippi (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Tue Oct 30 at 0500, KGWA fails to quit modulation so no understation DX tonight (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Wed Oct 31 at 0500, KGWA Enid fails for the second night in a row to unmodulate, so not audiblizing understation DX. We have high hopes they will resume doing so unpredictably (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Thu Nov 1 at 0500, KGWA dead air again, but I can`t DX it tonight with CBCNQ Sackville about to close down (not); see CANADA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa observations: on the air Oct 26 at 1857 UT with banda music, 1900 segué with no ID. We have never heard them ID in latest reactivation. 1917 recheck off the air, or maybe carrier is still on; hard to tell on caradio. 1939 on receiver with BFO, carrier is definitely off. Nothing heard around 1300 or 1700 UT Oct 27.

This correlates with Bruce Winkelman`s notes at local range in Tulsa:
``Just tuned past 1120 and there is Spanish language vocal music from presumed KEOR-1120! 1247Z 26OCT12. 1305-1335Z 26OCT12 Spanish language vocal music, with no announcements or other identifying "talk" between selections. Quick check of 1120 this morning 1232-1240Z 27OCT12 shows no OC from presumed KEOR, only a faint KMOX`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Oct 28 at 1950 UT, KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is back on with continuous Mexican music, well audible via caradio on another expedition north of Enid to Squirrel Haven; however, asphalt portions of US 81/64/60 where we are simultaneously northbound, westbound and eastbound, produce heavy tire static, while concrete portions much less so. I stop at a pulloff by a celltower with no visible means of electrical support; powerlines are poler, but on other side of highway. Do these things run on batteries or own generators even when powerlines are handy? At least they put out no RFI on MW.

During all this recent KEOR reactivity, tho I have not listened for hours at a time straight, I have never caught any announcement, let alone a slogan, or legal ID, so I make sure to listen at the next hourtop, 1959: No, just segué to more music. Seems they don`t think they need to ID legally. Still on at 2019 with music introducing itself as cumbia! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Oct 29 at 1930 UT, KEOR is not on the air. Wayne Heinen, editor of the NRC AM Log, says, ``A look at the Silent STA filing at the FCC says that the reason the station went silent back in June was "technical". Maybe they replace a part or two, run a few tests and then shut it off and try to find another way to fix it``.

Maybe, but as I said before, if it was ever on the air this past June, we missed it completely, and/or it was very brief; as it had also been off the air for many months before that (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1430, Oct 28 at 2006 UT, near Squirrel Haven about 10 miles north of Enid, I am parked and bandscanning on the caradio. I especially want a definite log of nearby KALV, which is hard to hear dentro-Enid due to its null protecting KTBZ Tulsa. Out here we are just far enough away from the null to hear it weakly atop KTBZ and making a SAH of about 8 Hz. ``Your host for Northwestern Rangers [a silly ballteam] in Alva, 1430 AM stereo, KALV`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1500, Oct 28 at 2001 UT, Fox Sports Radio. Would expect this to be nearest groundwave station, KPGM in Pawhuska, rather than KSTP, a bit early for skywave from St Paul, and that`s ESPN, right?

Unlike ESPN Deportes, Fox Sports Radio has a user-friendly website with all affiliates on one page
http://www.foxsportsradio.com/pages/allstations.html
or, one may click on a state-by-state map, but the only one they know about on 1500 is WSEM in Donalsonville GA. A recent change? NRC AM Log 2012 shows KPGM as RELigious. Sports is the religion in OK; but I go direct to KPGM:
http://www.bartlesvilleradio.com/pages/kpgm-1500-am
which shows it is now primarily sports talk, and explains that on weekends they are with FSR, much but not all of the rest of the time with The Sports Animal OKC, KWPN-640, which is all-ESPN, right?

Plus they have local talk shows, and even a minute-by-minute schedule:
http://www.bartlesvilleradio.com/pages/kpgm-programming-schedule
setting an example followed by too few radio stations
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1610, the hum-only carrier heard before N of Enid is still there Oct 28 at 1958 UT, presumably Great Salt Plains TIS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=========================

** U S A. 529, Oct 31 at 0538, LYQ beacon ID repeated in Morse, copiable aside Cuba 530. Capt. David Frantz, Chief Pilot of ATC, notified me that this had just been reactivated as backup to their ILS due to night flights. It`s at the WWRB site, Manchester TN, and reports are welcome via the WWRB website (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1641, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 940, Sat Oct 27 at 1236 UT from SW/NE, ``Band of Gold`` nostalgia song, then ``Tnx for the Memories`` but not by Bob Hope, plug 515-964-8947 to order CDs, ``Music & Memories show on your favorite radio station`` from the 1940s. This leads to only one:
http://tunein.com/radio/options/Music-and-Memories-p230604/
Praise 940 in Des Moines IA, Saturdays at 7-8 am [CT], which fits, i.e. KPSZ, which NRC AM Log classifies as REL:AC but at the moment is really NOS if not REL:NOS. Apparently it`s the ONLY station carrying this show, as also seems local with 515 AC.

Remember when 940 Des Moines was KIOA? That perfect call ended 11/18/1996 when it became KTXK; and then from 09/03/2002 KPSZ. 10 kW day pattern from 1230 UT in Oct has a broad major lobe centered on 260 degrees, but still plenty toward Enid, all per FCC AM Query (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Oct 27 at 1256 UT, full ID for KZQZ St Louis, NBC News Radio 2-minute capsule with optional cutaway in the middle for stations which find two minutes too much. This IDs my unID of Oct 15 at same time. Network info that it`s funxional M-F only obviously outdated, as this was Saturday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Oct 28 at 2002 UT on caradio a bit N of Enid, dominant station has ABC news, 2005 ID as ``Talk Radio 1540 KNGL``, gratuitous anti-Liberal promo, Mike Gallagher Show promo or start. This is 250 watts in McPherson KS, not yet overridden by KXEL skywave (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Nov 1 at 0529 UT, something is occupying the null of Spanish WKY OKC: promo for Rush at 9 am, then temps but no local refs caught; and into Yahoo Sportsradio.com, slogan something like ``Sportstalk 930``. A strange combination, both Rush and YSR? Or maybe the Rush promo was for a sibling station. 9 am means MST or PDT for live airing, but there are no such 930 stations on the Rush affiliate list.

The only 930 stations on the YSR affiliate list:
Jacksonville FL WFXJ-AM 930 AM
Battle Creek MI WBCK-AM 930 AM
Jackson MS      WSFZ-AM 930 AM
Greenville NC   WDLX-AM 930 AM
None of these have favorable night patterns for us, but Jackson MS is closest. WSFZ website says it`s Super Sport 930. But Rush couldn`t be on at 9 am in that market, not starting until 11 am CT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)