[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 5-11, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, October 5-11, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada, Oklahoma, rest of USA,
unidentified, separated by =======
Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 740, Oct 11 at 0528 UT under KRMG is ``Don`t Sit Under the Apple Tree``, WWII (or WWI?) song, also making a SAH of about 7 Hz. Hard to imagine this being anything but CFZM Toronto, with NOStalgia format. NRC AM Log shows only a few other very weak and very far stations on 740 with that. As if trying to compensate for absence of CFRX from Toronto; never mind CFRB (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===================

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Friday Oct 5 at 0459, KGWA with traditional ID as ``since 1950, KGWA has been reaching five of the greatest [or was it finest] counties in Oklahoma, KGWA, Enid``. Think small! Then dead air from 0500 to 0505, so another try to ID something else with KGWA carrier nulled as best I can (which also increases the hum level for some reason, even with battery power). This time there are maybe three signals mixing, one with music, others with talk. By 0503 the talk solidifies into ABC News with a reverb, again signifying from two different affiliates, most likely KMA IA and WERC AL. Nothing local copied before KGWA blasts back on at 0505 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Oct 6 at 0500 UT, KGWA Enid continues with modulation instead of a 5-minute hole; this was UT Saturday as I am trying to establish a pattern (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Sunday Oct 7 at 0500 is another dead-air day from local KGWA during the midnight news hole. Nulled as best I could, this time there is some Mexican romantic music underneath carrier, 0502 maybe a quick X- ID I can`t catch as QRM de ABC news reverb from two other stations is gaining on it. Suspect XEK Nuevo Laredo as it does not loop very far SW, and not near the KGWA null. I watch the seconds tick away to get the volume turned back down in time. 0505 KGWA blasts back on with local ad starting with countertop bellringing, introducing Metcalf Lawn & Garden (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Monday Oct 8 at 0500 check, local KGWA fails to suspend modulation, with Fox `News` --- so when missing it`s a fox hole! (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, UT Tuesday Oct 9 at 0500 is another Fox-hole at KGWA, so another attempt to ID something else with its big carrier a few km away nulled as best I can: ABC News is dominant, probably KMA, and a second before KGWA desk-bell ad blasts back on at 0505, the understation gets out ``partly cloudy skies``. If they would only say the city or call-letters first! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Wed Oct 10 at 0500, KGWA Enid continues modulating; soon I will have two weeks of observations and maybe establish any pattern of which days on, which days off  (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, UT Thursday Oct 11 is another dead-air day for KGWA Enid at 0500: see U S A for log of something else (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, Oct 8 at 0556 UT, open carrier from semilocal KOKP Perry. Even so, I can`t pull in KDKA, which I haven`t heard in years. Long before KOKP and others invaded the frequency, KDKA was audible any night here at about a kilomile distance, and I used to enjoy their late-night call-in show {Later: I remember the name now, `Party Line`, but not the names of the M&W (husband & wife) hosts? This must have been in the early 1960s}. KCKN NM isn`t heard either with its deep null toward us and Pittsburgh, which is supposedly 50 kW non-direxional day and night. I wonder if their own signal has degraded (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[but see later USA logs below of KDKA, KCKN?]

1020, UT Oct 10 at 0500, KOKP Perry was also revived from previous dead air, so goodbye, KDKA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1340, Oct 10 at 1305 UT, promo for `The Rush`, weekdays at 2-6 pm on ``1340 The Game``. NRC DX News has listed hundreds of AM stations which have never been reported to Domestic DX Digests, including KGHM in Oklahoma City, or rather officially now, Midwest City. This one is easy here, on daytime groundwave, but now it`s late enough, a semihour past sunrise, to overcome the graveyard. Was it never reported either under previous identities KOCY, KEBC, etc.?

Other unreported Okies on their list will not be so easy, and I`m not sure all of them are currently even on the air: KBEL-1240, KTLQ-1350, KMUS-1380, KALV-1430, KBIX-1490, KMAD-1550, KKUZ-1560, KTAT-1570.

Except KALV 1430 Alva, which I can also hear on groundwave, altho it`s tough with its null toward Tulsa, and helps to venture a bit north, south, or west from Enid (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=======================

** U S A. 600, Oct 11 at 0523 UT, `Coast to Coast AM` from two stations about one second apart, very annoying. One is certainly the usual WMT Cedar Rapids IA; NRC AM Log shows four other affiliates and so does the C2C website: we can rule out KVNA AZ which is 48 watts at night and doesn`t join in until 0607 UT. Also unlikely is faraway KOGO San Diego. That leaves KCOL in Wellington CO, and WREC in Memphis TN, the latter with a 10x power advantage. KCOL also has a deep null toward us and Memphis, while WREC is a tangent circle to the southwest, but not a full null toward here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 620, Oct 9 at 1222 UT, ESPN station in English is QRMing XEBU (see MEXICO). At this hour, surely nothing but KTAR Phoenix is possible. It`s ND day, but night pattern has a secondary lobe at 28 degrees, null at 83 degrees; Enid is at 72 degrees from KTAR, 1328 km. BTW, KTAR is Mormon-owned (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 650, Oct 5 at 0518 UT in WSM null, instead of an XE I am hearing `Coast to Coast`, so which station is a `B` affiliate in the NRC AM Log? The one I suspected, only KGAB Orchard Valley (Cheyenne) WY, 500 watts at night, 3-tower directional northwest with of course null toward Nashville, and only tiny lobe meward. Must be out of whack. On an optimum winter day and if lacking 640 WWLSIBOC, I have heard KGAB`s 8.5 kW non-direxional daytime at some 500 miles, could even be groundwave (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 670, Oct 5 at 0544 UT I happen to null WSCR and hear not only Cuba, but an ID for ``KWXI AM & FM``. Oh oh, KWXI is a 5 kW daytime ONLY non-direxional in Glenwood, Arkansas, per FCC and NRC AM Log 2012, not even a PSSA, but their FM is really K255BH on 98.9 which means programming continues 24 hours, but not supposed to be on AM in the nightmiddle! Glenwood is SW of Little Rock beyond Hot Springs more than halfway to OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 680, Oct 5 at 0545 UT, `Jim Bohannon Show` which is hard to find anywhere around here during 0207-0459 UT live broadcast. Loops NE and must be only known affil on 680, KFEQ St. Joseph MO which starts at 0500 with first repeat. Guest is talking about Iran. Now it`s easy to pick out interesting and/or unduplicated guests, at http://www.jimbohannonshow.com and listen to podcast but not so easy to find the time to do so (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 680, Oct 10 at 1320 UT, Tom Jones(?) song, segué to ``Slow Hand`` C&W, how suggestive; loops NNE/SSW, and the groundwave primary here is KFEQ St. Joe MO, but a talker so can`t be this, instead the source of a growing slight SAH. As suspected, the music station is KKYX as IDed with a San Antonio traffic report at 1323; on non-direxional 50 kW day pattern, but it still needs some skywave to get this far this well (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 730, Oct 6 at 0516 UT tuneby, ``KKDA, Soul 73`` and music. Surprised to hear this Grand Prairie TX (DFW) 500-watter instead of XEX or some other Mexican, but none of them at least for the moment. KKDA pattern does have a main lobe northward (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 730, Oct 11 at 0508 UT, ``Hot Soul in the Summertime, 730 KKDA`` momentarily atop XEX Spanish sports talk, which soon resurged, fast SAH between them. They are apparently unaware that nowhere in the world is it summertime, including Grand Prairie TX: a station on autopilot. Will they still be playing this after December 21 too? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 760, Oct 5 at 0549 UT, EAS test is ending, then phone something at 888-964-WABE (or WADE?). Certainly not referring to a callsign on 760. Lookups lead nowhere on either. Then to `Red Eye Radio` coincidentally taking a caller from Ohio listening to WJR, just like I am now in OK. That is not their toll-free number. Not sure if the EAS and RER were from the same station; possible is KCCV Kansas City in the way but with only 200 watts at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Oct 9 at 1328 UT, Albuquerque NM traffic, temperatures, KKOB ID. Official sunrise and switch to non-direxional in October is 1315 UT when I need to hear it pop on (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, Oct 10 at 1314 UT I am standing by for KKOB to pop onto non-direxional day pattern, and so it does 3 seconds before 1315, official local sunrise in October. Amid talk about ``beautiful day for mass ascension``, info about park & ride locations for the Balloon Fiesta which lasts until October 14 (seems a week later than usual); from Newsradio 770, KKOB, Albuquerque. Weak but steady signal. How many people will be killed this year, and will the KKOB tower in the North Valley near the Fiesta survive without an impact? Parking elsewhere and riding a bus is certainly recommended, as one year my car in the BF site lot was almost hit by a balloon basket landing off-course (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, Oct 11 at 0500 UT, local KGWA again provides a Fox-hole this UT Thursday, so nulling its strong open carrier, this time there is something besides ABC News from KMA et al., instead some jazz music, and ID in passing sounds like ``WKZG-AM``. Checking NRC AM Log later, the closest match is WABG in Greenwood MS with has a talk/blues format, 500 watts at night. I bet that`s it! FCC AM Query shows its night-only direxional pattern is mainly south but a minor lobe at 285 degrees towards here:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/708653-80603.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Oct 9 at 0458 UT I find that semi-local KOKP Perry OK is in open carrier/dead air again, so what else can I hear? My recent remark about not hearing KDKA spurs me to try harder, and by golly I do barely hear it as Jim Bohannon is signing off; and yes, KDKA is the only 1020 station on his affiliate roster. CBS News bong comes 24 seconds late after 0500 UT! 0506 meteorologist from ``Newsradio 1020 KDKA``, 0507 mentions sister station KMOX St. Louis.

Meanwhile there is a weaker 1020 signal in Spanish under the KOKP carrier and which I can`t null from KDKA. Can`t really make out the Spanish, but at 0512 the intonation is consistent with a sabelotodo predicador.

Suspect this is a remnant from KCKN Roswell NM, now turned over to Radio Visión Cristiana, and which has a deep null toward KDKA and OK. On a flat US map in the Rand McNally atlas, Roswell, Enid and Pittsburgh are right on the same line. Great Circle Distance Calculator shows azimuth from KCKN to KDKA is 62.92 degrees, while KCKN to Enid is 59.73 degrees, so about 3 degrees off the null.

FCC AM Query shows Roswell call is still KCKN, but I`ll bet RVC will eventually change it to something more apropos and sell off `KCKN` to the highest-bidding country-format station elsewhere. Hmm, KRVC is now available; at least not assigned to any AM station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, Oct 5 at 0505, big open carrier with hum is still rampant, dominates the frequency even when nulled, and DF still points to KCTA Corpus Christi, 50 kW daytimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1030, Oct 6 at 0500 UT, open carrier with hum N/S from presumed KCTA Corpus Christi TX 50 kW daytimer is still going; nulling it, at 0503 I hear SRN News, seems like the start of the cast, delayed, instead of mid-break. NRC AM Log 2012 shows KVOI Cortaro AZ (Tucson) is on that net, 1 kW at night, most likely the one, close to right angle from CC. But also SRN on WCTS in MN, and if the 50 kW daytimer in NC happens to be on overnight, WDRU. Earl Higgins in St Louis says the OC was covering WBZ at 0300 Oct 6 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1030, Oct 7 at 0506 UT, open carrier with hum is still here, presumed KCTA 50 kW Corpus Christi daytimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1030, Oct 8 at 0550 UT, open carrier with hum is still going every night after a sesquiweek at least, looping N/S from here. On ABDX, Steve Ponder in SE Houston says it`s coming from the Corpus Christi area; Kevin Redding in Crump TN, says it`s SW from there, so that makes a fix on KCTA Corpus Christi TX, not anything north of here. Altho there has never been any ID heard, on the basis of this I am moving it out of the UNIDENTIFIED category (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1030, Oct 9 at 0502 UT, humbuzz is still here from 50 kW KCTA Corpus Christi TX carrier running way overtime past sunset-mandated closedown. You`d think if nothing else, they`d notice at morning sign-on time, that it never got turned off.

Could this possibly be deliberate, like to reduce the seaside humidity? FCC map shows site is 22 km NE of CC across Nueces Bay beyond Portland near Gregory, about 6 km inland. Legal hours in October are 1230-2400 UT. Need to hear what happen at 1230 or if really modulating earlier (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1030, Oct 10 at 0559 UT check, finally no open carrier with hum from the south, so has KCTA 50 kW daytimer Corpus Christi finally fixed it, since first heard Sept 30? Audibized KTWO:

1030, Oct 10 at 0559, YL with weather forecast, IDs as KTWO and K-2 radio, into Fox ``news``. From Casper WY. Also could hear a weak Mexican NA under, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1638, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1030, UT Oct 11 at 0225, KCTA is back with hummy open carrier, altho had been missing night before at 0559 UT. And Oct 11 at 0505 check, also not heard. So they are still running it past legal daytimer-only sign-off, but not as late (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Oct 5 at 0559 UT, norteña hymns, interrupted for legal ID in Spanish from KIJN, Farwell, Tejas. Looping west, it dominates 1060 but otherwise makes fast SAH with other carriers. Notorious cheater (sorry, is that offensive?), 10 kW daytimer-only with PSRA of 3 watts, but this is the nightmiddle. Recheck 1218 UT Oct 5, similar signal with norteña hymn including accordion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Oct 10 at 1330 UT, ``Colorado area traffic``, mentioning I-25, Parker, then promo high school football on ``1060 The Biz``, i.e. KRCN Longmont, which is now 50 kW non-direxional during daytime. NRC AM Log does not mention this slogan per se, but certainly BIZ as the format (except during stupid ballgames, apparently). RCN stands for Radio Colorado Network, but they`ll be all set if ever sold to Radio Cadena Nacional (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Oct 10 around 0507 UT, sure sounds like Roy Masters, the British-accented anti-feminist advisor. Haven`t heard him, or of him in years; in fact last in DXLD for March 22, 2008 when he was on KOKC 1520. Now it`s presumably KAAY Little Rock AR --- Yes, on their comprehensive schedule for Wednesday midnight at http://www.1090kaay.com/programschedule.asp
as `Adviceline``, and also matches Brother Scare heard but hurriedly avoided at 0605 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1160, Oct 10 at 0608 UT, KSL Salt Lake City UT, Jim Bohannon opening this hour with guest Cary Funk from Pew Research, about the ever-growing numbers of non-believers. This is similar to Jimbo`s website introduxion altho he ad-libbed here and there:

``The United States was founded as a haven for religious freedom. Anyone can choose to worship as they please, or, alternately, not worship at all. Most Americans consider religion to be a significant part of their lives. However, the number of people who claim no specific religious affiliation is now at the highest level ever recorded. That's according to a new study by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, which says the percentage of people who say they are "nothing in particular," agnostic, or atheist has skyrockets from eight percent in 1990 to just under 20 percent today. And the rise has been very balanced: there is little variance based on income, education level, or ethnicity. The unmarried do tend more to unaffiliation than the married, as do Westerners more than Southerners. In addition, for the first time, the number of Americans identifying themselves as 'Protestant' dropped below the 50 percent mark, to 48 percent. We'll discuss the
 study's findings with two distinguished guests: Cary Funk of the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, and Religious Studies Professor Vivian-Lee Nyitray of the University of California at Riverside.``

This segment starts 39:42 into the compressed 2-hour audio archive, which contains three hours of programming, minus all the breaks and commercials, just the way real radio should be! Click on October 9 at:
http://jimbohannonshow.com/programhighlights
or permanently linked at:
http://jimbohannonshow.com/programhighlights?date=20121009
And all this aired on the #1 LDS station, KSL
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1260, Oct 10 at 1332 UT, long series of siren sound effects, with urgent speech by YL in Spanish; seems NNE/SSW, 1335 TC for 8:35 and temp as 34; 1337 ``La Mexicana`` and mentions Kansas City (I think), but no such station near KC KS or MO. The only two SS known around here on 1260 are KDLF in Boone IA which fits for the DF unless it`s skewed, but listed as ``La Reina``; and KBHC in Nashville AR, listed as ``La Más Mexicana`` in the NRC AM Log 2012-2013.

NWS for Boone IA shows temp at 8:35 today was 37, but it had been 34 during the previous hour:
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBNW.html
while it was 60-61 degrees near Nashville AR. Ergo presumed: KDLF
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1260, Oct 11 at 1246 UT, banda music again, and this time a definite slogan ID at 1247 as ``La Reina``, and 7:47 TC, so now it`s definitely KDLF in Boone IA, which on day power of 5 kW (officially starting at 1230 UT in Oct, 1300 in Nov), aims at us with major lobe to the southwest, but also sufficient signal to its SE to cover Des Moines (a.k.a. De Los Monjes) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1420, Oct 11 at 1325 and still 1336 UT, Laura Ingraham show about weight loss rather than politix. Affiliate list shows only one around here with her on this early is: KBHS Hot Springs AR. Format must have changed from NRC AM Log 2012 as C&W - Classic Country, 5 kW in daytime and non-direxional. Seemed to be ENE/WSW, but DF on the DX-398 must have been skewed from ESE/WNW. She`s also on 1.5 kW KTAN Sierra Vista AZ, from 13 UT, which is more like WSW, but I doubt it would be dominant this late; daytime non-direxional 1.5 kW is supposed to start at 1330 UT in October (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Oct 11 at 1325 UT, ``KZQZ, where the oldies sound best``, St. Louis MO. No sign of KTBZ Tulsa or KALV Alva OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1450, Oct 10 at 1307 UT, KO-KO Weather Center, forecast for Warrensburg, refers to UCM, apparently some sports institution. Missouri graveyarder atop the mess at the moment, a semihour after LSR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1650, my several logs of romantic music in Spanish here and a mention of `sin comerciales` must really have been KSVE El Paso, altho I never heard any call letters or `Maria`, as now we have info from a local listener via NRC International DX Digest Oct 5:

``KSVE is indeed broadcasting Spanish música romántica. Between each song is a canned ID similar to "María, siempre romántica todo el día.  María, 1650 AM. Siempre romántica; galanoñes, sin comerciales." María is a format style, much like the "Jack" and "Bob" style formats in the U.S. And, no, I have yet to hear a commercial on this station; which makes me wonder what it does for funding. They are part of Entravision, a good-sized media conglomerate (Robert Vance, El Paso TX)``

[what`s ``galanoñes``? Not in my Random House, nor Google translate, which asks if I meant ``gananones``? And then doesn`t translate that either, also ``detects`` Filipino; nor is this in Random House  -- gh]

Editor Bruce Conti adds on mwdx yg:
``More about the "Maria" stations:
http://www.entravision.com/radio/all-radio-stations/
lists all Entravision AM/FM radio stations along with URL's including those carrying the "José" and "María" monikers``

Including:
El Paso KSVE 1650 AM María Texas http://www.maria1650.com
``Siempre Romántica`` with streaming.

I am still wondering why there have been *no* other DX reports of KSVE on 1650 that I can find in NRC or IRCA. Has Wilkins in Colorado ever heard it? {well, he does have a local on 1650}

Deeper searching finds one [presumed?] log of it on the Ultralight yg, UT Jan 25, 2010: ``0015Z 1650 kHz, KSVE, El Paso, TX. Spanish singing (bo-ring) and SS M ann. Weak, in and out. Stated 850 W, 1180 miles. PL-380 with 340-uH internal antenna mod. 73, Jim, KR1S http://qrp.kearman.com/ `` Jim is now in Stuart, Florida, per ARRL FCC lookup, but where was he then? I wish hams would quit omitting full name and location from logs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1460, Oct 11 at 1327 UT, Spanish putting phone caller on the air, soon losing out to Catholic talk in English, the latter no doubt KHOJ St Charles MO. Roughly E-W, so could be KBZO Lubbock TX, listed as nostalgia in Spanish, rather than KZUE in El Reno (pronounced Ree-noh) OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)