[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, October 12-18, 2012

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, October 12-18, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** CUBA. 1080, Oct 14 at 0528, Spanish is overriding KRLD, and loops SE instead of Mexicoward; soon ID in passing as ``Radio Ciudad de la Habana``, en tercera hora of current programa. Makes 80/minute SAH with KRLD, = one and a third Hz. A seemingly straightforward log raises questions:

WRTH 2012 shows Cuba on 1080 only as CMCH, Radio Cadena Habana, in Villa María CH which means Ciudad de la Habana province, yet keyed as entry HA01, which leads to the separate La Habana province. The Radio Cadena Habana website (no abbreviating here), mentions 1080 as its only AM frequency: http://www.cadenahabana.cu/quienes-somos/

WRTH 2012 listed website for Radio Ciudad de la Habana (CMBE 820) http://www.habanaenlinea.cu/ goes nowhere.

Terry Krueger`s info via
https://sites.google.com/site/floridadxn/cubalist
also indicates the 1080 station is Radio Cadena Habana. I had a pretty clear ID of Radio Ciudad de la Habana, but no proof other than my handwritten log note. Assuming what I heard was correct, the most likely explanation is that after midnight, one of them relays the other.

While Radio Cadena Habana website lists a number of its programs, it does not give any times and I can`t find a plain old program schedule grid. It`s not unusual for KRLD at 400 km to fade out but not usual for a Cuban to fade in at the same time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. UNIDENTIFIED. 540, Oct 18 at 0511 UT, unusual music catches my ears, sort of techno-rap with lyrix in English, seemingly with US political references, then mixed with Spanish by same YL singer. 0515, DJs in Spanish mention 9-11-11, maybe a text number? 0529, 9-11-11 again and back to techno-rap. At 0531 for the second time, what sounds like ``Radio Fanta`` (orange or 6 other flavors?) or rather something phonetically similar.

Loops SSW/NNE and certainly not CBK. The obvious choice would be XEWA SLP, with 150,000 vs any other 540 Mexican ranging from 100 to max 2500 night-watts, and this is probably it, despite techno-rap not really being top-40 as per its latest incarnation in the ``Los 40 Principales`` mode.

BTW, the other XEWA, 540 in Monterrey, with only 1 kW at night, is entirely separate now, ``Dominio FM 96.5`` per Cantú. Isn`t it about time to grant it an unique callsign? Hoping for a definite ID at 0600 but then I get another station, q.v. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 540, Oct 18 at 0600 UT another station gains over the techno-rap one, looping further SW, from Chihuahua, La Ranchera, also ID for FM, ends with -X, and then plays choral NA. Per Cantú it is:
540 XETX La Ranchera de Paquimé + FM 90.5 Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chih. 1,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 550, Oct 15 at 1201 UT, choral NA, then ID but not a fully detailed one like most stations at TOH: ``91.3 y 550 simultáneamente, Cuauhtémoc, La Super Estación`` all mentioned, i.e. per Cantú:
550 XEPL La Super Estación + FM 91.3 Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 150
Some years ago I caught this in Low German for the Mennonites in the area, I think in the morning. At least there`s a program grid for L-V:
http://www.xepl.com.mx/programacion/
including at 18-23 local, ``Programación Menonita – Alemán Bajo``. That would be 00-05 UT, mostly 100-watt-night-power time. Maybe they also have some on weekend mornings when the schedule merely says ``variada`` for Sat & Sun (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 550, Oct 17 at 1202 UT after NA, Chihuahua state PSA with phone numbers to ``denounce delinquency``, i.e. crimestoppers. 1203 on to science feature from UNAM, `Radio Esfera`, i.e. not a station ID! So this is XEPC in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc again. Meanwhile, I see that John Kugellagers in Lakewood CO was surprised to hear some sort of German on 550, UT Oct 16 at 0454, which confirms what we found on their schedule. But 150 watts at night?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 560, Oct 17 at 0516 UT, EZ-listening Spanish music, with ID ``La Tremenda`` between songs; loops SW. Cantú shows it is:
560 XESRD La Tremenda +FM 89.3 Santiago Papasquiaro, Dgo. 10,000 1,000
Must be a new one for me (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 590, Oct 18 at 1202 UT, YL with full ID for La Sabrosita, including ``el sonido de la ciudad``, i.e. per Cantú:
590 XEPH Sabrosita México, DF 25,000 10,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 640, Oct 17 at 1205 UT, kid choral NA, 1206 XEJUA Ciudad Juárez ID with 5 kW. Not hard to separate from OK`s KWPN Moore, ex-WWLS, ex-WNAD Norman about 90 degrees away and KFI no problem either. Have they ever got their full signal back? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 650, Oct 12 at 1159 UT choral NA, and then ID as ``Radio Ka`` (as in the letter K in Spanish). I was expecting the usual XETNT Los Mochis, and maybe this was it, with a misleading program name or something. Schedule at http://www.chavezradiocast.com/?page_id=395
still shows `Panorama Agropecuario` at 6 am weekdays.

Cantú, IRCA, and WRTH show nothing resembling ``Radio K`` and not even a K anywhere in XE- 650 callsigns. Cantú shows only one other XE in the UT -6 zone where NA would be playing at 1200:
650 XETNT Radio 65 + FM 106.5    Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 1,000
650 XEVSS Sin Límites + FM 101.1 Hermosillo, Son. 1,000   100
Altho I did hear the Mexican NA, could the ID have been from some US SS station? None listed in NRC AM Log on 650. Maybe I just misheard it
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 650, Oct 13 at 1200 UT, full ID for XHTNT 106.5, Radio 65, Grupo Chávez, and also mentioned ``Radio K`` in passing, so the Radio K that I heard before was definitely XETNT Los Mochis, Sinaloa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, Oct 12 at 0532 UT, ``La mejor estación, 9-8-9, La Lupe, 98 punto 9``, amid romantic music. Cantú:
660 XEACB La Lupe + FM 98.9 Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000
Its AM predecessor and still duplicator not worth mentioning
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 710, Oct 12 at 1204 UT crime news headlines, 1205 ``Noticias 7-10``, mentions of Chihuahua: So the usual XEDP Ciudad Cuauhtémoc (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 720, Oct 12 at 1200 UT, choral NA from WSW, 1202 segué to some rock music, Radio Centro ID, 1203 Banco de México, Diputados PSA. As previously researched, this is a relay via:
720 XEJCC Extremo 7-20 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 1,0000 [sic]
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 720, Oct 17 at 1209 UT, talking about Morelia and Michoacán, suspect a national newscast e.g. XEJCC Juárez rather than:
720 XEKN La Z, Salvajemente Grupera, Huetamo de Núñez, Mich. 5,000 D
as in Cantú. This also looped WSW, vs a musical Mexican further to the south (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 780, Oct 13 at 1202 UT, KSPI Oklahoma is kindly cooperating by not modulating its carrier, so I can catch this: ``10,000 watts, Monclova`` mentioned, so per Cantú it is:
780 XEWGR Exa FM + FM 101.1 Monclova, Coah. 10,000    250
Lacking anything that definite but ``Exa FM`` ID could also have been:
780 XEZN  Exa FM + FM 104.5 Celaya, Gto.      5,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 790, Oct 18 at 1201 UT, choral NA, 1204 full ID amid CCI mentions Chihuahua2, Grupo Radiorama, 99.3 FM, Estéreo – algo. Cantú:
790 XERPC Stereo Fiesta + FM 99.3 Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 400
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 790, Oct 18 at 1232 UT, Grupo Fórmula mentioned, headlines following credits to various newspapers such as Imagen de Veracruz, and also several in Europe and US; loops SW with CCI from another in Spanish. Cantú shows:
790 XENT Radio Fórmula + FM 97.5 La Paz, B.C.S. 10,000 750
The other R. Fórmula in Guadalajara doesn`t fit (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 850, Oct 13 at 0602 UT, news quoting el gobernador de Coahuila, mentions Torreón, but there is no 850 in that state, and this is national news about the drug lord being killed and then kidnapped; loops WSW and even overrides KOA which has faded down or taken down by auroral. Very likely the usual one I hear, per Cantú:
850 XEM Milenio Radio + FM 103.7 Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 860, Oct 17 at 1215 UT, ad for Partido del Trabajo (Workers` Party, commie?), not something you hear every day from XE-land. Quick singing ID as Radio Recuerdo, temp in Monterrey, and time 7:15, live DJ greeting callers on the air including a kidvoice. KKOW nulled. Cantú shows:
860 XENL Radio Recuerdo Monterrey, N.L. 5,000 2,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 880, Oct 12 at 1209 UT, at least three mention of Gómez Palacio in local news, so it`s the sister-city station across the state line:
880 XETC Kiuu + FM 91.1 Torreón, Coah. 10,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 880, Oct 15 at 1208 UT, YL with news, swooshes between items, categorized; apparently missed local and state segments, now nacional, and then internacional; 1212 hands over to OM for deportes until 1217, back to her with weather for ``la ciudad`` including chubascos. Federal PSAs for glorious government in general, and IFE`s latest elexion management in particular, ads with passing mentions finally of Torreón, 1220 a university from Monterrey, campus Laguna; 1221 TC for 7:19, temp ``en el centro de Torreón``. So it`s per Cantú:
880 XETC Kiuu + FM 91.1 Torreón, Coah. 10,000 1,000
Here`s a station named for time-checks, and they`re two minutes off, hi. Axually it`s the one Spanish-spelling the English letter `Q`, but I haven`t really heard either calls or that letter-name expressed on the air (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 900, Oct 12 at 1154 UT, mentions 98.9 FM, Los 40, from N/S, so it is per Cantú:
900 XEWB Los 40 Principales + FM 98.9 Veracruz, Ver. 50,000 10,000
No longer a repeater of co-channel behemoth XEW México DF, and thus much easier to tell apart (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 960, UT Saturday Oct 13 at 0500, local KGWA Enid provides another Fox-hole (could there be others at different hourtops? I need to check). During the pentaminute of dead air, manipulating the DX-398 to null the remaining very strong carrier as much as possible, this time the main inhabitant of 960 is Mexican music; lyrix seemed to mention ``Lupe``, rather than being a slogan ID. Prime suspect XEK Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas.

Based on proximity, number two possibility would be XEKS in Saltillo, Coahuila but Cantú shows its night power only 100 watts. Based on frequent reception area, and more toward the KGWA null, #3 would be XEIQ Cd. Obregón, Sonora, 500 watts. Based on highest night power, #4 would be XEHK Guadalajara, Jalisco, 2500 watts. Now, how about someone voicing a real ID during this window? It must radiate after 0500:00 and before 0505:00 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 960, UT Monday Oct 15 at 0500, just after local KGWA Enid goes to dead air for 5 minutes, among the mishmash of signals I hear under its partially nulled carrier, one playing the four descending chimes which are the trademark of XEW and may well have played simultaneously on 900.

Can it be that one of the thirteen XEs on 960 is relaying XEW overnight? Main website http://www.wradio.com.mx has no info on affiliates, but the show starting at midnite is `Los Amos del Camino` for truckers. At http://www.mexicoradiotv.com I checked about half of the 960s, the more likely ones, and found no connexions to XEW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1030, Oct 18 at 1215 UT, string of PSAs, mostly federal including extolling the Presidencia of lame-duck Calderón, but amid them an ad or PSA mentioning Chihuahua, then Grupo Radio Net(?), and 1216 Radio Fórmula ID, so per Cantú:
1030 XEYC Radio Fórmula Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 500O
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1050, UT Oct 14 at 0450, I find a sufficient signal to serenade me on the insensitive shower radio, XEG Monterrey. Turns out to be a preacher but not a screamer. I am paying more attention to the quena in the background looping `El Condor Pasa` --- should this be filed under ECUADOR [non]? ECP even continued playing during his sign-off prayer at 0456 which was accompanied by louder sacred choral music. He`s from a local Monterrey church, gave phone numbers on both sides of the border, and apparently is on every night at this time; XEG appended a standard disclaimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1050, UT Monday Oct 15 at 0430, XEG, R. Ranchera, Monterrey, switches from music to preacher, apparently daily. Once again he is playing `El Condor Pasa` constantly in background; seems to be more of a self-improvement/advice angle than strict gospel-huxtering, but really, MEGO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1090, Oct 12 at 1227 UT, Full ID for some other station: XERFR, 970, desde Ciudad de México, ``la Fórmula uno``. Seemed to be from WSW, but IRCA and Cantú show the only such relayer on 1090 is:
1090 XEXE Grupo Fórmula Querétaro + FM 92.7 Querétaro, Qro 2,500 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1090, Oct 17 at 1220 UT, state-by-state headlines such as ``Milenio: Hidalgo``, and a few others, so per Cantú:
1090 XEAU Milenio Radio + FM 103.7 Monterrey, N.L. 5,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1300, Oct 14 at 1226 UT, ``Radio Trece, con la música de siempre`` then rock song in Spanish. It`s the usual XEP in Ciudad Juárez, not to be confused with another Radio ``Trece`` really on 1290 in the DF, XEDA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 800, Oct 12 at 1201, extremely distorted `Donald Duck` modulation from SSW. Presumably just signed on as not heard before 1200. And fades out before long, or maybe it`s a warmup problem only, eventually resolving itself? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 800, Oct 13 at 1152 UT, the distorted-Donald-Duck transmitter is detectable under KQCV and XEROK, so it is on the air before 1200, presumably one of two stations in NE Mexico (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 800, Oct 18 at 1204 UT, ``Donald Duck`` extremely distorted talk modulation has just started, QRMing clear XEROK, and atop whatever pre-sunrise signal there is from KQCV OKC. Presumed one of the NE Mexico outlets; standard remark (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)