Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:35:33 -0700
From: mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx (Patrick Martin)
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, am@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IRCA] OT   DSL vs Cable

Living out here in the rural area, our options are limited for high
speed internet. There has been an open Wifi in the neiborhood or months
that I have been using, but the past couple of days it has been off. I
have no idea if it will return or not.  I thought about adding cable,
but I have Dish Network, so the cable would only be for the internet at
$55 a month. However, it is so leaky RF wise that I don't want the QRN.
Then there is DSL, but the nearest DSL is a mile away, and Qwest quoted
me $1500 to get it to my house. Is DSL noisy? Any QRN to deal with? Then
there is a 3rd option, satellite, but is more expensive than cable, but
not the $1500 to get it here. Also maybe Verizon may offer high speed
via cel phone type service,  but that is probably spendy too. I can
always buy a point to point antenna, or build one to see if I can find
other open Wifi's farther away.
   I wouldn't care, but I connected last night on the computer at 11.6!
I finally got 26.6 after trying several times. I know many who live in
Astoria or Seaside that get at least 40 on dial up. If I got that, it
would be easier to live with.   Any thoughts? Thanks.  Living in rural
America has its perks, but also the loses too.

Patrick