[IRCA] FlooDX from WZFG 1100 50 kW at night

[IRCA] FlooDX from WZFG 1100 50 kW at night

Thanks to the flood in Fargo, I figured I would at last have a chance to hear the new WZFG-1100, which has a 50 kW day rig from its site in Minnesota, but very low power normally at night. Sure enough, March 27 at 0552 UT, there it was with live coverage, giving phone 271-1100, e-mail talk@xxxxxxxxx and toll-free 1-888-598-8464, also slogan ``Talk Radio The Flag, AM-1100``.

At first it was dominating the frequency; then I had to easily null WTAM-1100 Cleveland OH as it faded back up, a slow SAH with it. By 0558 IBOC from KFAB-1110 Omaha NE was bothering 1100, almost the same direxion from here; discussing areas which are to be evacuated. 0559 legal ID ``WZFG, Dilworth-Fargo-Moorhead, USA``, 0600 Fox `News` Radio, leading with their own local story. By 0602 KFAB IBOC was blocking WZFG. There ought to be a law.

Meanwhile I was checking the other Fargo, and Bismarck frequencies, but could not pull anything floody or identifiable out of the QRM on 550, 790, 970, 1130; or 1200 where KFNW also has a 50 kW day rig; just WOAI heard. No doubt the 50 kW-at-night from WZFG will continue for the duration of the emergency the next few days. There had been a number of reports of KFGO-790 getting out on 5 kW non-direxional day power at night, rather than shooting it all northward at night. CBW-990 is another station to keep an ear on, as they are worried in Winnipeg, barely mentioned in US media coverage (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)