Re: [IRCA] ALA 100 and related thoughts

At 17:49 1/28/2009, you wrote:

>I would love to stumble upon/design an antenna setup that would emulate a
>BoG system, that could easily fit in my 50'x60' backyard. Having the ability
>to control direction and angle of signal pickup would be a plus...hi. (like
>a mini Wullenweber antenna)

Chris,

So would most of us,hi.   A lot of bright ideas founder on the complexity of the implementation compared with the simplicity of having a switchable selection of Beverage antennas.   The ideal is to have an antenna with a steerable narrow lobe, except when you want a wide lobe to find out what's out there.  But it has to be easy to understand its operation I think.

The problem with a complex system is that by the time it's adjusted properly (especially if it's frequency sensitive, and you need to readjust for each channel), the opening can have passed (our morning sunrise enhancements for example).   On the  coast it's relatively easy to reject many domestics with a Flag or similar antenna, because the wide remaining lobe is looking only at DX, and the null can be easily touched up.  But it's not so easy in most locations with interference from all directions, plus whatever local electrical noise you end up introducing into a complex system.

>Cogs still turning (squeak, kah-thump), the next thought is a sloper toward
>the pest station phased against an ALA-100, for example. Would that work
>better as a phased combo? (think patterns and signal strengths)

It has a certain degree of simplicity, which is a good thing in my mind.   If you have a rotatable loop then you have some good possibilities.    But there are others on this list with more experience of phasing than I, so you should probably wait for greater wisdom from them.

best wishes,

nick