From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nick Hall-Patch
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:09 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] ALA 100 and related thoughts

At 17:49 1/28/2009, you wrote:

>I would love to stumble upon/design an antenna setup that would emulate a
>BoG system, that could easily fit in my 50'x60' backyard. Having the
ability
>to control direction and angle of signal pickup would be a plus...hi. (like
>a mini Wullenweber antenna)

Chris,

So would most of us,hi.   A lot of bright ideas founder on the complexity of
the implementation compared with the simplicity of having a switchable
selection of Beverage antennas.   The ideal is to have an antenna with a
steerable narrow lobe, except when you want a wide lobe to find out what's
out there.  But it has to be easy to understand its operation I think.

The problem with a complex system is that by the time it's adjusted properly
(especially if it's frequency sensitive, and you need to readjust for each
channel), the opening can have passed (our morning sunrise enhancements for
example).   On the  coast it's relatively easy to reject many domestics with
a Flag or similar antenna, because the wide remaining lobe is looking only
at DX, and the null can be easily touched up.  But it's not so easy in most
locations with interference from all directions, plus whatever local
electrical noise you end up introducing into a complex system.

>Cogs still turning (squeak, kah-thump), the next thought is a sloper toward
>the pest station phased against an ALA-100, for example. Would that work
>better as a phased combo? (think patterns and signal strengths)

It has a certain degree of simplicity, which is a good thing in my mind.
If you have a rotatable loop then you have some good possibilities.    But
there are others on this list with more experience of phasing than I, so you
should probably wait for greater wisdom from them.

best wishes,

nick