Re: [IRCA] ALA 100

At 19:29 1/28/2009, you wrote:

>The question may have been asked/answered before in this thread so please
>forgive me if I'm asking it again: What does the ALA 100 offer in
>performance over a standard (comparable?), amplified broadband (or
>remotely-tuned) loop of the same size?

I guess primarily that it works straight out the box, Chris, and I'm not sure if there's any commercially available alternative either in the broadband or remotely tuned line.

I've heard complaints about Wellbrook's pricing, but rarely from anyone who builds things for a living, and plans to continue doing so.   There are some fine designs out there, but you'll need to build them yourself, and there's no guarantee that they will be as crunchproof or as low noise as the Wellbrook design (there's a degree of personal experience in that statement).

Where they really shine (being broadband) is on longwave.  They can make that band half way useable for urban DXers, as they are not as sensitive to local noise sources.   And like other loops, they don't take up much room and can be mounted close to the ground.

best wishes,

Nick