Re: [IRCA] Sony SRF-59 - are we serious?

Re: [IRCA] Sony SRF-59 - are we serious?

>>> In the meantime, why don't we all just sit back, and be thrilled to DX
>>> with it?<<<

I was trying to accomplish two things with my e-mail. Well, three, actually.
First I was trying to explain that I was initially skeptical that an
ultralight could perform well on AM, but then pleasantly surprised. I
thought I was pretty clear about this when I mentioned that I was able to
discern stations beneath my own locals. Second, since the SRF-59 is an
ultralight, I thought I should be ultralight in my tone. Tongue in cheek;
you should have seen my first draft! Though I do see that I accidentally
edited out the smiley ;-) emoticon. Third, I was taking a cheap shot at
IBOC. Couldn't resist it, though it is like killing a dead horse.

The Sony SRF-59 is a good set, and I'm having a lot of fun with it tonight
(loggings further down) in a downtown core where I've never really been able
to do much AM DX at all). It's not a Drake R8 hooked to a BOG with all the
trimmings, and I think we can admit that and still have all sorts of jolly
fun. It will be interesting to compare it with my rather threadbare set-up
at Burnt River - a Sangean ATS909 portable hooked to unterminated wire
running on the ground through the woods.

Tonight, with the SRF clipped to my shirt so I don't send it flying every
time I move around, I've managed to do a whole whack of paperwork, and ...

910: a basketball game between the Dukes and something that sounds like JMU.
It IDed as the JMU (or whagtever) Network. There was also a reference to
Charleston.

910 also has Spanish (Cuba suspected) and Maine.

Hets on 910 and 621 (the latter fairly strong, maybe TA's are possible
inland...)

"La Capital" on 750, Spanish, suspect Venezuela.

870 Reloj Cuba very strong o/WWL.

Bonaire TWR 800

890 Cuba suspected u/WLS

I'm even getting some stuff while typing on the computer, though the hiss is
pretty bad at the keyboard. And I'm not even thinking about IBOC. well,
almost not...

Saul