Re: [IRCA] Sony SRF-59 - are we serious?

Re: [IRCA] Sony SRF-59 - are we serious?

Hello Saul,

     True Story:  When I bought the first SRF-59  in November to kick off
this entire craze, it was a dubious attempt to introduce  my 8-year old son to
the joys of AM DXing, which thrilled me when I was 8 (way  back in 1961). My
son, who is already somewhat of an Internet expert,  showed absolutely no
interest in the foolish attempt of his father  to motivate him to search for DX,
however, the father suddenly forgot about  the original mission and noticed that
this tiny radio was ridiculously sensitive  and selective... whereupon Danny
quickly got a different present, as his father  proceeded to gasp in total
amazement at the phenomenal performance  of this tiny terror.

     Anybody who holds the SRF-59 in his hand for the  first time must think
that the entire club has either gone nuts, or  hallucinating on something from
the 60's.  Even now, when I pick up an  SRF-59, I find myself saying "No way
can this little thing have received 3  TP's!"... but it has.  And for 15
bucks?  What has Sony created?   Is this some secret way to turn the whole AM radio
market upside down, and put  Sangean and Panasonic out of the analog AM radio
business for good?

     Saul, I am just as amazed today as when this whole  thing started in
November.  Nick and Steve are still combining their expert  technical talents to
try to crack the code on this radio, but it gives up its  secrets very
grudgingly.  Even the conversion scheme is still being  debated, but we are sure that
it is not a regular superheterodyne.  Maybe  after a few more weeks, we will
all know why this radio is shockingly  effective.

     In the meantime, why don't we all just sit back,  and be thrilled to DX
with it?

                           73,  Gary DeBock