Re: [IRCA] KGA degrade

Hi Patrick:

    I have been scouring over old FCC records at the National Archives
for the past several weeks. When the stations were originally licensed,
there was a high emphasis placed on serving the public interest and that
meant being involved in the local and regional communities. Many
stations took that charge very seriously and became actively engaged
with their community. In the license files I looked at many stations had
several dozen letters and notes from local organizations in each file
expressing their appreciation to the stations' participation in local
events. This notion seems to be gone for the large part with the current
cookie cutter approach to broadcasting. Yes it is financially easier to
put up a satellite dish, put the station on remote, and send the
station's personnel home with their pink slips, but that what is ruining
radio.  What sets AM and FM apart from satellite radio etc is the
ability to deliver and focus their signal locally and regionally and
serve that market with programming that would be unique to their
communities.

Bill