Re: [IRCA] KGA degrade

Well, in my opinion, you are just pointing out what is wrong with AM radio.

<turn on rant>

Anyway, KGA's market is more than just Spokane. It is widely listened to
throughout Eastern Washington and northern Idaho, in the rural areas,
day and night. Scott, yes, the area around Spokane and especially if you
travel along I-90 to the West and US 395 to the South does look like a
desert, but that is not the whole picture.  The area to the West of
Spokane, say from Grand Coulee, going to the South towards say, the
Lewiston, Idaho area, does have a sizable population. (It is called the
Palouse) That area has been served by KGA day and night. You point out
that you can find syndicated fare all across the dial. That is true and
it does seem to make financial sense, but I think that is what is wrong
with AM broadcasting now. The tendency to ignore programming with the
local flavoring is a major factor in killing AM. Yes it takes more
financial resources to keep a local oriented station on the air, but it
might be worth it for some stations. KGA's signal into the rural areas
surrounding Spokane has been one of its biggest pluses, but now someone
wants to take that away so they can add some listeners in another
market.  To me, that is really not serving in the public interest, like
they were originally intended. As a radio friend pointed out to me, yes,
making money is why most stations exist, but stations have been
entrusted to serve the public, especially the local community.  In
essence, like much of the rest of our economy, terrestrial radio is
becoming Wal Martised.

</turn off rant>

Bill Harms