Re: [IRCA] Legal scope of TIS content?

Mesa Mike,

Mesa Mike, Lost Almost NM wrote:
> Can some TIS stations get permission to broadcast other kinds of info?
> I ask, because there is a TIS station here in Los Alamos WQFJ525 1610
> kHz, licensed to the county that is not catering to travellers, but to
> the local residents.
    Sounds like many of the TIS operations in the San Francisco Bay Area

> The station announces that it is an "emergency advisory radio station"
> purchased through a grant from the Department of Homeland Security. It
> is licensed through the FCC as a TIS station, though. In the event of an
> emergency, we are to tune in for public safety instructions,
> information, advisories, announcements, etc.
    Hmmm. Didn't know a grant to buy a transmitter and all the trimmings
was a possibility. Patrick Griffith, do you have any info on this? Bill
Harms?
> In the meantime, the station is broadcasting plugs for local county
> services, such as the county's website, the county library's locations
> and hours, the county customer service center, the local crimestoppers
> tip line, and even information about how to apply for county employment.
>
> Also, there is information about how to avoid getting the flu, and what
> to do if you do get it. There is currently an extended announcement
> about the possibilty of prescribed burns in the area forests, including
> locations and methods.
    Two things are a definite no-no: broadcasting music (though a few
have a musical bridge between items), and advertising for a commercial
entity. When there isn't a lot going on, some stations more or less
become Community Information Stations. Along the East Carolina Coast,
there are a few that babble on about little, using a National Weather
Service re-broadcast to fill up air time.

       Mike