[IRCA] WA STATE TIS/HAR INFO

This is an anecdotal item about the WSDOT (Washington State
Department of Transportation) which runs our HARs. For many years,
they had the same person voicing all the IDs. About a year and a half
ago, a lady's voice was substituted. I know I am losing highs but she
had a dreadful voice and in some cases,  I simply could not pull out
all the call letters even if I was next to the transmitter. During
this period they also discontinued specifying transmitter locations.
About six months ago, the original "announcer" came back and with
him, the station locations.

Meanwhile, there is a TIS/HAR on 1580 in Puyallup (Puyallup abuts
Tacoma. It is pronounced "pyou-AL-up). It is run by the city and has
good coverage. Its primary purpose is to be there in the case of a
lahar. (A lahar is what happens if a volcano erupts - all the flowing
lava, etc.) Recently the station started giving two sets of call
letters. I couldn't tell any difference driving around Tacoma.
However, I drove to an area east of Puyallup a couple of weeks ago
and could discern two signals in an area on the way back. They were
beautifully synced; there was no discernable beat. You could only
sense it when one would drop out due to terrain. A newspaper article
indicated that the new one was in a place called Orting. Additional
ones are planned, apparently. Other than LAX, does anyone else know
of other synced TIS/HARs?

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n