Re: [IRCA] More of that!

"VERY FEW OF US KNOW WHY YOU have the alias Qal R. Mann. Prithee, enlighten us!" Says cholly

Simple ... The Q in Qal is pronounced as the Q in Iraq. The initials speak for themselves. The pronunciation of the full alias approximates the pronunciation of the actual surname. (It is my all-time favorite pun.)

Qal R. Mann first appeared in print in the April Fools edition of DX News in 1967 or 68, though, unfortunately, I do not have a copy of that document. I do recall, of course, that editors were, in addition to QRM, the world famous Admiral Nelson, Arcane (alias of Randy Kane) and Hefty Blooper. Member Curtis Engberg in Massachusetts became "Curtis E. Program" and a member who was always complaining became "Ralph Irate." (I had nightmares about that particular satirical piece because of certain later historical developments of a rumored variety.)

I have owned up to several other aliases (or is it aliai?) in my lifetime, beginning with Serutan Yob (a steal from Jim Hawthorne/Red Ingle), Johnny Callan (at KIXZ), John Culver at KFJZ (not my choice), and probably another one or two down the line. I've never signed any of those aliai on checks, though, so if this note makes it to Google, I won't have any body coming after me!

I became the Krumudgeon a few years ago, thanks to Russ Edmunds, who called me the Curmudgeon from Krum, and I took it one step farther.

Q.R.M., Krumudgeon