Re: [IRCA] WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

Maybe I'm tired and confused because it's late, but how come when WGN
signs off, WBBM must to? I'm obviously missing something here... What
does them being close have to do with it?
Paul
/////
This would be neccesary only if one of the stations was working on their
antenna system. According to the registered coordinates, these stations
are about 2 miles from one another. When high power stations like these
are that close together, each may induce enough RF into the other's
antenna system to make it difficult to make proper adjustments. The
"dark" antenna may even pick up enough RF to shock or burn personnel
working on the antenna system. This is especially true with these
particular stations since they are very close in frequency. The antenna
systems at both stations are nearly resonant to the frequency of the
other station.

As an example, here at KCKK tower #3 of the 4-tower system is not part
of the daytime array. During the day it is connected to a detuning
network making it invisible to the rest of the array. However, it is in
between towers 2 and 4 which are radiating part of the 9.5 kw daytime
pattern. Even though #3 is disconnected from the transmitter, it
receives enough RF energy from the other nearby towers to place a
considerable amount of current on the antenna components. I have
personally verified that it picks up enough RF to make a human being
jump backward several feet and shout an obscenity. I have a small burn
scar on the top of my right index finger to remind me to be more careful
even when working on "dead" antennas.

Now here is an idea that Willis will appreciate. Remembering Tesla's
idea for a wireless power distribution system, could one set up an
antenna, tune it to the most powerful transmitter in your vicinity, and
make use of the received power in your home? There is a lot of wasted RF
floating around out there. Of course this would probably only work on
analog signals. Maybe the power companies are the real backers of IBOC
to prevent this from happening! That's my conspiracy theory.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
Broadcast Technician
NRC Broadcasting - Denver
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/