Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: WGN Xmtr. Maintenance Period

> Now here is an idea that Willis will appreciate. Remembering Tesla's
> idea for a wireless power distribution system, could one set up an
> antenna, tune it to the most powerful transmitter in your vicinity,
and
> make use of the received power in your home? There is a lot of wasted
RF
> floating around out there. Of course this would probably only work on
> analog signals. Maybe the power companies are the real backers of IBOC
> to prevent this from happening! That's my conspiracy theory.
>
> Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO

I recall reading that, in the 1930's when WLW was running
superpower, local residents would build resonant loops connected
to small light bulbs to provide free outdoor night lighting.

Maybe something on the order of a #47 bulb ( who among us can
remember those. hi). I don't know the exact details.

Now that we have a business model that allows construction in
near fields of existing stations, it may be possible to replicate
this test. Here in Tampa, a new Target store (derisively referred to
as "tar-zhay" by some,in a mock French accent) is being built on
open ground within hailing distance of the WFLA 970/WHNZ 1250
site along State Route 580, so there should be some stray RF
floating around inside there.

- Bob