Re: [IRCA] This IS NOT getting past me!

Chuck Hutton, the "Hutton for Punishment," writes:

"I go like one that hath been stunned,
And is of sense forlorn:
A sadder and a wiser man,
I'll rise the morrow morn.
To find my prose rejected thus
In your email "deleted" can.

Still apologizing to Samuel T. C.

Chuck (channeling the ghost of Bill Wurtzel if anyone remembers that era of
DX history) (Carroll Seth's place is safe)"

It's close to the 50th anniversary of a piece of doggerel I wrote for DX News that referred to a few DX'ers who lived in Buffalo at the time ... Pop Edge, Ralph Johanns and a member named Bob whose surname escapes me at this date. Carroll often moaned about how he was stuck with 49 states confirmed and could not, for the life and soul of him, make that 50th connection:

"In Buffalo, the NRC shows
Pop and Ralph and Bob
And they're all
Fine DX'ers, as everyone knows,
But none so eloquent as Carroll.

"He sallies forth for DX foreign,
>From Zanzibar to Athabaska,
But still his wall he can't adorn
With QSL card from Alaska."

There was more, but, praise be to the muse, I've forgotten the remainder.

I always thought of Seth as a DX pixie and the spirit of the NRC, back in it's pre-IRCA days of camaraderie, and the death of Seth, Fran Nittler and Hal Wagner in Nebraska on the way to the NRC's Indianapolis convention in 1962 brought tears to my eyes.

Wurtzel's contributions represented a whole n'other ballgame, and I think Ernie Cooper was the only one who was saddened when the NRC corporate board banned "poetry" from Musings. There was a lot of wheat thrown out with a little bit of chaff. (Laugh!)

Thanks to the IRCA list for providing space for a few NRC memories that, for some of us, cross-pollinate.

Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon