Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] FCC Bows to Big Money, Dumps on Listeners, and Approves Night AM IBOC

--- "Rene F. Tetro" <rene@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> During the transition period, however, AM listenership will dwindle
> dramatically as listeners can no longer find a listenable analog
> signal.  As
> more and more hybrid digital-analog signals appear, the more the
> noise will
> drive listeners away. Will they return when the transition is
> complete?  I
> doubt it.  Even if one uses five years as a transition period (it
> will be
> much longer, in actuality), by that time even newer, more
> technologically
> advanced delivery and entertainment mediums will become extant.

*** I couldn't agree more, however I believe things will come to a head
before such time as some future FCC decides to mandate digital on AM.
There are too many factors pointing toward problems early on. I still
think that AM HD will be pretty much DOA in less than that hypothetical
5 year period.

> Consequently, I can't help believing that the FCC did, in fact, sound
> the
> death knell for AM today.
>
> Rene F. Tetro
> Chief Engineer
> Salem Communications - Philadelphia
> WNTP-AM / WFIL-AM
> 117 Ridge Pike
> Lafayette Hill, PA  19444
> Phone:  610- 828-6965  Extension 41
> Fax:  610-828-6725
> Email:  rtetro@xxxxxxxxx
>
> "Blessed are the peacemakers....." (Mat. 5)

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id