[IRCA] converting WAV to MP3

At 03:53 PM 3/1/2007 -0800, you wrote:

>Recording DX as a WAV file is a huge waste of storage space.
>
>Note:
>
>WAV     uncompressed    1:1     10 MB   If the wave wav file was sampled
>at 16 bits/44.1kHz, you've got CD quality sound
>MP3     160 kbps        9:1     1.5 MB  Very low compression, superior
>sound quality
>MP3     128 kbps        11:1    1 MB    The standard "CD quality" bit rate
>MP3     96 kbps         15:1    700K    Considered "near CD quality"
>MP3     64 kbps         22:1    400K    About the same quality as an FM
>radio station
>
>64 kbps MP3 "As good as FM...."
>
>Pretty much sums it up.
>--
>Colin Newell - Victoria B.C. Canada
>www.coffeecrew.com  |  www.dxer.ca

Colin,

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, it is evident that a 500 MB WAV is
preposterous.

I got this little ADS Tech RDX-150 mainly to "learn the ropes." It's cheap,
but
totally inflexible.

That said, yes I need to convert the resultant WAVs to MP3s. The software
is out there.

If need be, I'll put out some more buck$ to get something more flexible
that will
generate an MP3 file directly; but what I have on hand right now ought to
do to start.

73,

Charles
        -----