Re: [IRCA] Digitalizing DX cassettes

> >It uses Nero software.
> >
> >1 hour of audio (at 44 kb sampling rate) came to 500 MB.
> >
> >The test file carried a .nb extension. When I attempted to open that
> file
> >with
> >Nero software, I got an "unexpected error in reading file!"
> >
> >Copied the file, and changed the extension to .wav, and the file
> opened
> >properly.
> >
> >Nero was supposed to have (I believe) compressed the file. 500 MB is
> huge,
> >after my understanding.

Nero is a CD burning software, which has some bells and whistles, but
AFAIK one of them is not compressing the audio files. I use Nero to
brun my CD's now. Used to use Roxio but Nero works better and is more
efficient to use.

A .wav file is uncompressed whereas an .mp3 is compressed. The values
cited by someone else earlier in this thread are representative.

There are those who insist that we should all use .wav files, however I
am not one of those. I did that for the first 6 months or so of
recording DX via PC, and for DX purposes, I never noticed any
difference, degradation or whatever. But working with .wav files for
remote recording of DX for longer periods results in really ginormous
files which take forever to load up and are harder to work with. For
short clips, .wav remains an option for some, but I work in .mp3 and
have no regrets.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]