Re: [IRCA] New TA Logging

--- Oxfordbaer@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm a recent convert to ICRA (although I've been playing with radios
> and
> searching for distant radio signals since age 7), so excuse my
> ignorance. I'm not
> up on all the lingo you guys use in your e-mails. What is "TA"? I've
> pulled in
> some decent DX from here in southern Arizona . . . but Spain,
> Denmark, China
> on the AM band? Incredible!!  Could you tell a rank amateur (me)
> something
> about your equipment and methods? Thanks.
>
> --TOM BAER
> 60925 E. Rock Ledge Loop
> Tucson, AZ 85739

Welcome, Tom !

I know you didn't address your question to me, but let me suggest you
check out www.ircaonline.org, or also www.nrcdxas.org.

TA standa for Trans-Atlantic, and TP for Trans-Pacific. From your
location the latter would be far more likely, but the right equipment
is needed.

Most DX'ers use multi-band communications receivers, although some use
high-quality portables such as the Sony 2010. Many of both are only
available used. Typically DX'ers on AM use either a longwire ( longer
is better within reason ) or a loop.

You'll find some info on those on the two websites mentioned.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID