Re: [IRCA] WTOP WTWP call change

At 12:58 PM 1/19/2006, the Sage of Krum offered:

>Another, more significant factor, as I recall from a conversation
>with Ernie Cooper and from reading ancient NRC DX Newses, that made
>a call-letter change a different station but did not count frequency
>changes was the wholesale shift on the broadcast band in 1941.
>Graveyard channels, for example, used to be 1200, 1210, 1310, 1370,
>1420 and 1500.
>
>(There were two East Coast stations on one of the graveyard channels
>that did not shift frequency, and remained 250-watt fulltimers on a
>regional channel. I'll leave it open as a pop quiz for the newtimers
>to pick up on those.)

I can certainly understand why the DX community chose not to count
the 3/29/41 frequency changes as "new" loggings. Since those shifts
basically moved the entire band up the dial a few notches, they
wouldn't have changed the overall DX picture. A graveyarder on 1370
on March 28, 1941 would have been just as listenable (or not) on 1400
on March 30.

But any frequency changes after that would, to my mind, have
represented valid new catches. WWRL on 1600 was a very different
facility, presenting a different set of DX challenges, from its
previous graveyard operation on 1500. And WCNW/WLIB's move from
sharing time with WWRL on 1500 to a standalone daytimer on 1190 was
an even more dramatic change.

I would have to imagine that March 29, 1941 would have been an
interesting day to be at the dials - there would surely have been
some brief DX opportunities as stations made the move from their old
frequencies to their new ones. I'm sorry I missed it by 31 years!