Re: [IRCA] WTOP WTWP call change

At 10:11 AM 1/19/2006, you wrote:
> > I'm wondering- with the call and format changes  and the migration of WTOP
>to FM, would you guys count WTWP as a "new  station" in your logs or not?
>
>Not me.  Being from the technical side of things, I would count a station as
>new only if there was a substantial change in the transmitting facilities.
>Even then, most changes would make a station easier to hear.  One exception
>is the older shared time stations.  I have a card from WFAA-820 from back
>when they shared with WBAP.  If I ever get around to digging out WBAP, a
>card from them would count (to me) as a separate station.  With the local
>550 station, there would be at least a half dozen different log entries, yet
>the transmitting plant is the same as in 1960.  One station, many voices on
>it.
>
>To me a call letter change isn't any real difference than a format change.
>In turn, that isn't all that much different than a different song. <grin>

I agree wholeheartedly with Craig. The only thing that "changed" when
WTOP 1500 became WTWP 1500 was half a second of audio at the top of
every hour. (The format won't change to "Washington Post Radio" until
the end of March, and since the call won't change again at that
point, you wouldn't count THAT as another new logging, right?)

I can sort of understand why the old-timers might have counted call
changes as new loggings - in the thirties and forties, you could go a
whole year with perhaps a dozen or two dozen call changes, total. (I
would have been one bored 100000watts.com editor back then!)

Nowadays, some stations change calls as often as some DXers change
underwear. (Did I really want to go there?)

That said, if Craig ever gets around to digging up WBAP (hardly an
impossible task, even with WNYC in the way for him), he can
justifiably count it as a new log. Since the days when it shared with
WFAA, the 820 facility has moved a good 25 miles, from what's now the
KLIF-570 site in Grapevine to Bisbee, Texas, south of Fort Worth. And
if Craig's WFAA-820 logging was before 1970, that was yet another
different site, on a piece of land that's now part of DFW airport...