Re: [IRCA] The ongoing IBOC discussion...

Re: [IRCA] The ongoing IBOC discussion...

> So lets say that in a few years everything is IBOC and we want to listen
> digital DX but it is no where near S9+20 but we have amplifiers and
digital
> signal processing and noise reduction. Will we be able to listen and when
> can phase some back end superpest down to 5 to 10 dB below my target will
my
> target be able to decode ?

Bear in mind that I tried for quite some time with a variety of antennas to
decode WOR-710.  There are no significant local pests on either 700 or 720,
and WOR is quite good here daytime.  At SSS they are sometimes a killer
signal.  Outside of a couple of short blips like meteor scatter reception, I
had no luck.

I will try again, but I'm not encouraged.  The analog portion of the JVC is
a halfway decent radio.  By extension, the digital portion should be OK.
Anecdotal reports have it better than a Panasonic.  FWIW, a Kenwood couldn't
decode WOR either in Providence.

The average power of the digital signal is much less than the analog
carrier.  I think a 50kw has about 1kw in the upper and lower sidebands
each.  That's not much for coverage.  I wonder if any of these 50kw monsters
would consider a DX test using digital only mode?  That would be
interesting, even if it were only for ten or fifteen minutes at 3am.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI