From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Craig Healy
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:16 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] IBOC/analog reception comparisons.

> I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I see that Craig Healy
> is reporting results on AM with his HD receiver that imply somewhat
> less reception range. I don't think that operator skill is able to have
> any effect, positive or negative, so it seems likely that there is
> either a difference in the ability of different receivers to decode the
> AM HD signal, or there is some other environmental factor involved,
> and this in theory could relate to noise, interference from other
> signals, differences in receiver design/revision levels of the codec,
> what else could be a factor?

I think it's a difference in what we define a listenable signal.  David
feels 10mv/m is good, while my thought is more by signal to noise.  Probably
2-3mv/m or even less is good to me.

It's not just my receiver.  I've compared notes with another engineer who
has a Panasonic radio, and he reports even worse results in terms of
coverage radius.  I have not spoken with the other engineer who has the
Kenwood.

> Are these stations transmitting a
> different HD signal? What would happen if these reeivers were
> reversed geographically? What kind of comparison can be done
> in any market to try and run down these differences? Would David's
> receiver decode WOR in Providence during the LSS/1800 window?

I think the HD signal is equivalent.  I also don't think that swapping
radios would matter.  It's what we call a listenable signal that is where we
differ.  Unfortunately, were I to use the 10mv/m benchmark as the limit of
my target audience, I'd be eliminating a lot of the rated Providence ADI.
I'd lose a bunch of Bristol County, MA for example.  The sales staff would
have a fit.

> Right now the sample range for either receivers or stations is too
> small to be very useful.

Yes, but once I hear from the Clear Channel guy, we'll have a sample of
three different receivers.  That's not too bad.  Hardly the be all and end
all, but it's enough to get a sense.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI