Re: [IRCA] conditions for Oct 25

> ...Patrick's report of JOAK lasting forever was somewhat in evidence
here
> on the propagation monitoring recordings...a nice peak at 16:09 this
> morning, but obviously didn't last as long as it did on the coast.
>
> Also, the shut down of the TA's was quite spectacular last night
according
> to the traces.  Somebody closed the door on 1314 at 02:43 give or take
> few minutes.   Nothing here tonight.
>
> Nick
Nick, your closing-the-door comment is pretty interesting to me. Last
night (evening of the 24th) I was listening (here in Tampa FL) and at
about 0200 I discovered 1314 Norway coming in well enough to be heard on
a barefoot DX398 inside the house, first noted by the audible 1310 het.
Fortunately neither 1310 or 1320 are loud at night here. I also got
somewhat better quality on a DX390 with assist from a RS loop, the one
that was on the market a few years ago.

What is interesting is the 1314 signal would peak up for anywhere from
10 to 30 seconds and then drop down for 2 or 3 minutes, then come back
up. Sort of reminded me of the old classic TP pattern (when TPs were
possible in the east). Using these mediocre receivers like the DX-3xx
series, with their limited gain, is a good test of how well the signals
are doing. In other words, it takes a good signal to be audible on these
sets

I haven't heard a fade pattern on a TA like this, perhaps it is always
there but when I was DXing with decent gear the signals were somewhat
more dependable in the short term, so I don't really know if this fade
pattern means a lot. But my experience with TAs from NY is that they
were more stable in the short term. That is to say, a signal could fade
a bit and still be heard on a good RX, but would disappear on a poor RX.
So this fade pattern may not actually be meaningful, as to whether it
was a precursor of a sudden fadeout (as you report at 0243z), or not.
The fade levels were substantial and the signal would go from readable
audio, into the noise, in just a few seconds., at least that is what it
did last evening.

However I was listening at that time (0243) and did notice that
everything seemed to be gone after that approximate time. I was getting
several other signals as carriers, and marginal audio before then, such
as 1215. I was unable to do any listening tonight. I had also tried LW,
but any decent LW signals have been elusive so far, though I've hrd 162
and a couple others in other years

It would be interesting to see your sig level traces in DXM. DXing
multiple signals at once is an unexplored area of DXing AFAIK, aside
from the work you are doing (are there others?)  and the idea of whether
the dawn enhancement shows frequency selectivity through time is just
one area I could think of that has not been well looked at on the
Europe-ECNA path. I'd think your results (Asia to WCNA) are from the
"opposite" end of the SR/SS path, that is, you are at the SR end and for
the east, the distant station is at the SR end of the path....what
difference would it make for the rx to be at the same end, vs the
distant end, as the sunrise end.

- Bob