Re: [IRCA] Phasing Null Depth and Antenna Distance

Most of my anecdotal observations conclude that two reasonably good
directional antennas -
Like a FLAG (or KAZ or CONTI) when coupled to a MISEK / LANKFORD phaser
can get null depths over 50db --
and I will stress that with an example:

I have a W/NW flag on ONE i/p of my PHASER and a ALA100 9 meter Loop
(oriented N/S) on the other.

CBC 690Khz is 50db over S9 at my location and I can null it to nothing --
meaning
it is inaudible on that channel leaving only Mexico in the background or a
French CBC
station that I think is in Saskatchewan.

I can null my other local CFAX 1070 Khz into the background noise leaving
KNX Los Angeles
in the lead.

Hopefully this weekend I will be putting up a N/NE Flag to compliment my
W/NW flag
and I am pretty sure the performance is going to be even better.

Phasers and Flags are also a great weapon against local noise - especially
when the noise
is coming from a.) 1 direction OR b.) All directions.

a.) Null the noise out by pointing your directional array away from the
offending noise. And

b.) If the noise is unidirectional and equal in amplitude in all directions
that it is
an easy task to take a chunk out of that noise with simple phasing.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Aaron Kreider <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Is there any research/data on how null depth from phasing two antennas
> varies based on the distance (in wavelengths) between the two antennas?
>
> I'm asking because I've got a limited city lot and am also trying to avoid
> local noise sources.  And I'm also curious as to what the answer is.
>
> I've heard 1/10th wavelength as a recommended minimum.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Aaron

*Colin Newell is the Editor and creator of Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> - Coffee.bc.ca <http://Coffee.bc.ca> and
DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -| Amateur Radio VA7WWV |
Twitter.Com/CoffeeCrew | Victoria B.C. Canada*