[IRCA] Off Topic - Obsolete Semiconductors

[IRCA] Off Topic - Obsolete Semiconductors

This is slightly off topic and
regards semiconductors suitable for RF work with
leads.  I have built many home brew electronic
circuits and kits over the years and repaired many radios,
TV's, Computer circuits, etc. using either parts from a
local Radio Shack or purchased from a supply house.

Last week I received a notice from Digi-Key
informing me that Fairchild Semiconductors will cease
producing the popular FETs such as the  MPF102
and  2N3819 in another year or so.  The
substitutes are going to be surface mount
equivalents.  I am sure this will also apply to
transistors suitable for audio work

I began the DX hobby 50 years ago using tube
sets.  I lived through the demise of the vacuum tube
and happily evolved with technology to use
semiconductors.  But now we enter into the third
generation of scaled down components.   This
transiton will not be that easy.

Tom
Jasinski
Joliet, IL