Re: [IRCA] KTKR and KVLI

As a DXer for the past nearly 50 years, in the early days up until the
70s, I always thought the radio stations will always be there, as few
signed off for good and not many changed calls or formats for that
matter. Then came the later 70s and into the 80s when all these Daytime
only stations started to get night operations and more stations signed
on the air causing any old fulltime stations to start losing revenue and
then in today's World, all bets are off. Every time you turn around
another old station bites the dust.  I would have never has guessed back
in the the 70s that old KSLM "K-Salem" 1390 Salem OR would be relaying
Sports talk today. They were the number one station in Salem for decades
runing a personality Adult Standards format, then called Middle of the
Road. I remember visiting the station with Bill Block and Kevin Slater
in the late 60s about 69 I think it was or maybe 1970. No one could
touch KSLM with the ratings and we were told that by other stations in
the area. How time changes. I feel very fortunate to have all of these
old loggings too, along with the old QSLs.
   I remember reading Ernie Cooper's reports and musings when I was in
my late teens and early 20s and Ernie discussing about the history of
radio as he started in the 20s. Of course at that age, in my late teens
and early 20s, I did not really connect to what he was talking about
with Radio History. Today I do of course. I think I enjoy the history
more today that anything.

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR