Re: [IRCA] KTKR and KVLI

>>The now-defunct KTKR in Taft, CA was an interesting operation. Gerald
Mann and his mother Louise ran it out of their home from 1959 or so till
the late 80s.
They also got the license for 103.9 FM, which probably netted them some
serious bucks when the stations were sold.
It wasn't unusual to find them tracking an album to the end, followed by
several minutes of dead air before someone remembered that the station
needed attention.
It was a daytimer, but apparently it was always winter on Sundays,
because signoff was 4:45 even in summer.<<

Thanks for the info on KTKR. I dug out my QSL from Oct 1989 with old
letterhead with a mic in the feft hand corner with the call letters
across the mic KTKR, then across the top "KTKR...in Taft
Then at the bottom it says "Specializing in Special Events" Under that,
P.O. Box WW.....1000 watts....1310 kc...(805) 75-5101 or 5-6101. The
verie letter is signed by Jerry Mann, Sta. Mgr.
  I love the old stations with the old cards & letters. I remember when
I got my QSL from KGER Long Beach from the 80s. The QSL was out of the
50s or 60s. With frequency, call, and new stations that came and gone, I
have 443 QSLs from California. A lot of history there.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR