Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 16:05:46 -0700
From: ricklew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] KTKR and KVLI

The now-defunct KTKR in Taft, CA was an interesting operation.
Gerald Mann and his mother Louise ran it out of their home from 1959 or so till the late 80s. They also got the license for 103.9 FM, which probably netted them some serious bucks when the stations were sold. It wasn't unusual to find them tracking an album to the end, followed by several minutes of dead air before someone remembered that the station needed attention. It was a daytimer, but apparently it was always winter on Sundays, because signoff was 4:45 even in summer. Despite what the maps may say, KVLI didn't put much of a signal into Bakersfield. I'm not surprised about its absence from DXers' logs. Only a DXer would listen to it; your casual listener probably was totally unaware of its sign-on in around 1978-79. (going by memory here.) Long before sunset, Las Vegas and Sacramento dominated 1140 in Bakersfield.
--
Rick