[IRCA] 1710 SEMI-FINAL

When I called KCIS yesterday, CE Bryan Hubert was interested in the 1710 transmission to the point where he asked Chris Wartes, an occasional contract engineer who does engineering for KSER (FM) but is actually in to photography, to scout it out. Chris was the actual person who took signal strength readings, plotted the location and sent the Google map. Both of these guys deserve our thanks.

However, a couple of questions remain:
(1) Why was the signal heard at a loud level near a church in Mill Creek, five miles away (more or less)? (2) Is it a legitimate Part 15 operation? Is there a list of approved Part 15ers on the FCC web site or anywhere else? Does an operation like this need a business license? And finally, is anyone interested in tracking the antenna lead to the operator's home and visiting with him/her? After all, we all want Pat to get a QSL out of this!

Chris by the way does a classical show weekly on KSER. He is a ham but is not in to BCB DX but is aware of the KFBK hash on KXPA and has been around long enough to remember hearing East Coast clear channel stations. I am sending him an IRCA bulletin to arouse his curiosity.

In these days where more and more CEs are too pushed to deal with the DXing hobby, I am very gratified that these two gentlemen responded in such a helpful manner. We have been fortunate!

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 + Kiwa air core loop