Re: [IRCA] 1710 SEMI-FINAL

Pete

To answer part of your second question, no there isn't a list of Part 15ers on the FCC web site or anywhere else. Part 15 of the FCC rules covers all sorts of low powered rf devices such as garage door openers, bluetooth devices, radio controlled toys, wireless microphones, low powered AM/FM transmitters, wi-fi devices, ad nauseum. It even includes the often denigrated BPL operations, and other things that are incidental radiators of rf energy. The average person has a whole bunch of part 15 devices without even knowing it.

Bruce

Pete Taylor wrote:
When I called KCIS yesterday, CE Bryan Hubert was interested in the 1710 transmission to the point where he asked Chris Wartes, an occasional contract engineer who does engineering for KSER (FM) but is actually in to photography, to scout it out. Chris was the actual person who took signal strength readings, plotted the location and sent the Google map. Both of these guys deserve our thanks.

However, a couple of questions remain:
(1) Why was the signal heard at a loud level near a church in Mill Creek, five miles away (more or less)? (2) Is it a legitimate Part 15 operation? Is there a list of approved Part 15ers on the FCC web site or anywhere else? Does an operation like this need a business license? And finally, is anyone interested in tracking the antenna lead to the operator's home and visiting with him/her? After all, we all want Pat to get a QSL out of this!