Re: [IRCA] NE Oregon TPs, Wednesday

At 02:34 PM 6/18/2008, you wrote:

>Hi Walt,
>
>Your DUs have been "meager", but mine have been nonexistent! For the last
>three mornings since revising my
>rotating Wellbrook ALA100 to 13.5 X 8.5 feet, I've been chasing DUs. I've
>oriented the loop right at 235 degrees
>bearing, which splits the difference between Australia and New Zealand from
>here.
>
>Unfortunately I haven't even found any hets after recording with Perseus
>between 1100-1230 UTC. Maybe I will
>record between 1800 - 1600 kHz the next few days, to reach any high band
>stations that might be struggling to
>rise above the splatter. My recording and DXing has been from 530 kHz to
>1330 kHz only, since the antenna
>revisions. (And as you know, Perseus can't *yet* record the entire MW band.)
>
>Signal strengths are quite improved (6 - 10 dB) over the prior smaller
>version of the loop, and that smaller size has
>done pretty well at catching TPs when conditions are right. However, the
>signal path is over more land mass to the
>SW of me compared to the NW.
>
>Guy Atkins
>Puyallup, WA
>www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com

Hi, Guy.  I'm not able to compare to other mornings, being my first kick at the cat.  I was inspired by how well John Bryant has done on Orcas.  Judging from
last Fall, I was hearing the DU stations better than he was (he far outperforms me in the Asia department, though!).  That said, I thought I should give it a whirl.
Now A/K indices have been quite poor for a few days, so perhaps when things settle down, we'll be able to expect more.  PNG and the 120m band Aussies
were very well heard this morning, by the way, so you might try those too.......Walt.