Re: [IRCA] iPhones and IBOC

> You know, Craig, I have a more than sneaking suspcion that within the next
> couple of decades we're going to see OTA radio (including satellite
> delivery) go the way of the Dodo in any major population area (or
> well-travelled highway.) The 'net streamcaster model is going to continue
> evolve and will become the preferred method of delivery and programming
for
> Joe Listener.

Yes.  It is an absolute given that wireless internet connectivity will
increase.  A very large segment of the population wants it, and is happy to
pay for it.  Streaming audio is simply going along for the ride.  Once
streaming audio is available to large enough segment, stations can shut down
the OTA transmitter and not lose listeners.  What they will lose is the
necessity to deal with the FCC.  That in itself is a huge benefit.

> Outside of the areas where a good wireless soup can be maintained you'll
> still have viable markets for listeners but even they (the stations
serving
> to fill those holes) will have to start thinking about serving the
audience
> rather than shareholder value once more.
>
> The down side of all this is that radio stations will drastically decrease
> in numbers on AM and FM.

I look at the model that cell phones created.  In the 70's, portable phones
were high band VHF and required a rather involved installation.  Today you
go to a store and buy a prepaid phone and are underway at the ring of a cash
register.  Coverage is nearly universal.  Project that out to an overlay of
internet connectivity such as 3G and you can see it's already well underway.
Radio stations are adding streams.  Most of my clients have them, and two
that don't are satellite fed oldies stations where streaming of that content
is prohibited.  One of those two does local sports and Sunday shows.  The
other is just a clone repeater of sat content.  If that station were to go
dark, I doubt many would even notice.  The automation screwed up some time
ago repeating the same short Frank Sinatra content, and it was almost two
days before someone called them.

> The up side is that (barring PAC-motivated federal interference) the
> stations left for us to listen to (and DX) will be much more in touch with
> their audiences' desires and far less likely to belong to a monolithic
> entity.

One thing that will very much restrict government interference with
streaming is the fact that streams cross borders.  All it will take is a
number of very hungry small nations who decide that hosting servers is
better than exporting bananas and tourist trinkets.  They will host streams,
and governments will have a hard time blocking it.  There is a very large
movement out there that does not want the internet restricted or even taxed.
A tax equates to a restriction.  The RIAA is killing itself and the music
industry with it's idiotic lawsuit pattern and may well be bypassed by
technology rather soon.  If a small country with a big pipeline allows
programmers to create a great stream, listeners will find it.  Heck, I run
my own stream out of my office with music that I like.  It's be great to
hear that in my truck.  Add in an automated switch to top of the hour news
and weather forecasts, and I'd just create my own radio station.  And no
need for advertising or bad DJs.

> So, now's the time to buy those AM and FMs with good coverage *outside* of
> major metropolitan areas!

A guideline would be to see where cell phones don't work.  That makes only
the most remote stations worthwhile.  I just hope that I can either find
work in the cell industry or retire before radio collapses.

It's gonna be interesting.  Picture the band with IBOC gone and 3/4 of the
stations dark.  Foreign stations would more than likely still be there, so
DX would be plentiful.  Ahhhhhh......

Craig Healy
Providence, RI